If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was at the beach shooting surfers and this guy landed by me. There seem to be some new birds around with the days getting shorter and cooler. Doesn't strike me as the usual beach bird.

S.Sidell-2020-12-06-092705_SD5_2753-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thank you. I'm new to wildlife photography. Not only is it hard, I don't know what most of them are. I appreciate your help.
There are lots of good guide books out there for birds and bugs. Some phone apps that are good too. Would pay you to invest. :) I have a rule for myself if I can't ID it, I don't keep it. There's also a good site for bugs called bugguide.net. It is so vast as to be discouraging especially if you don't know where to begin which is my problem with bugs. LOL

Size, shape, behavior, habitat: often better than field marks and color. And if your ears aren't too old, bird calls/songs are very useful.
Very nice photo of the Say's Phoebe... not their usual habitat but they are flycatchers, so maybe sand fleas, etc.

Size, shape, behavior, habitat: often better than field marks and color. And if your ears aren't too old, bird calls/songs are very useful.
Very nice photo of the Say's Phoebe... not their usual habitat but they are flycatchers, so maybe sand fleas, etc.

Offshore winds of late and plenty of sand flies with warmer air. I know enough to realize she isn't a normal beach local.

Lovely little guy. Small birdies, the bland kind - officially known as LBJ's - Little brown jobs. Especially some of our cisticolas, you can only ID them via their song/sound. So if I get the species right, I am normally happy!
;)