Up in Scarborough Marsh in Maine

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gpsman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Scarborough GBH 8-27 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

GBH-This was shot at around 6:30 AM. Heavy clouds, fog had just lifted. about 50 yards away. Shot with D850, 200-500mm (set to 500) Handheld, ISO 2000, SS 1/1600, f5.6. Processed in Lr 6.0.
Where do I start? I feel this is a good shot, technically and artistically. Oh, one more thing, I have Parkinson's, so I'm a bit shaky and REALLY SHOULD use my tripod/Gimbal.
Any Recommendations/Suggestions?

Maybe Steve can do a video on overcoming really crappy foggy cloudy conditions. I have the eBooks and have seen most of the videos. They got me this far. I am learning more about the technology limitations.

Next stop: Intensive Lr training.!!! Maybe even an Lr upgrade?

Thanks

I like it, but I'd be tempted to try a square crop, losing the larger rocks on the left side of the image. You could try going completely high contrast B&W so it would be just a graphic silhouette, just for something different. With the reflection that might work (good composition to capture that, BTW - I often miss those!)

I like it, but I'd be tempted to try a square crop, losing the larger rocks on the left side of the image. You could try going completely high contrast B&W so it would be just a graphic silhouette, just for something different. With the reflection that might work (good composition to capture that, BTW - I often miss those!)
Thanks for your suggestions and support . I’ll give those ideas a try. I tend to be a little limited in creativity when I start out with one idea in mind. I tried the silhouette on other pics. I’ll let ya know. Thanks again

I love it just the way it is. The rocks look like a Rorschach test with a heron on it. Maybe it's just my weird mind, but that delights me. BTW, I love Scarborough Marsh -- it's a much better birding spot than it has any right to be. My birding friend and I have driven up to Acadia to go birding and the stop at Scarborough on the way was the highlight of the trip. Whenever I've gone there, it hasn't disappointed.

Last edited:
I love it just the way it is. The rocks look like a Rorschach test with a heron on it. Maybe it's just my weird mind, but that delights me. BTW, I love Scarborough Marsh -- it's a much better birding spot than it has any right to be. My birding friend and I have driven up to Acadia to go birding and the stop at Scarborough on the way was the highlight of the trip. Whenever I've gone there, it hasn't disappointed.
Yes, I love Scarborough marsh. I have friends in the Portland area , so I go up there to shoot as often as possible.
Thanks for the feedback on the pic. Much appreciated.
Btw, another great spot for eagles and ospreys is the fish ladder in Damariscotta,(?) Maine.

I like the rocks and the reflection very much. Heron is nice as well. Considering the conditions I think you did well. There are 2 things that I think could improve this photo. First off despite the foggy conditions the whole things feels a bit under exposed to me. I would lift the exposure about half a stop to brighten it up a bit. The other issue is that the bird is looking out into the short end of the frame which makes it feel cramped. I would always prefer the bird to be on the left side of the frame in this case and have it looking to the right and into some space. As is it feels like it is looking out of the photo. That of course is all personal preference.

And kudos for getting a sharp image at that shutter speed with Parkinson's. That is amazing. I have had some very close family members with Parkinson's and they for sure were not out taking photos!

Back