Used gear on eBay (international)… buy?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ecycled

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m still sporting f-mount glass for my fairly new and still doing me right D850 and D6. Honestly I’ve been finding amazing deals on glass these days (and yes, at some point I to will move forward). But for now I’m content.

So I’ve been in the market for a while for a used Nikon 200mm f/2G ED VR II lens to be used mainly indoors at dog show events that I shoot frequently (just as a hobby). These always tend to be mediocre light at best and that coupled with dark-haired animals (Newfoundlands breed mainly) moving quickly demand for the best low light gear one has got. Shoot 70-200 2.8E FL as well as the 300 2.8G VR II with pretty good success but the 200 calls.

Finding these used in good condition is always a challenge. Decided on a whim to check eBay which I’ve always been a bit hesitant in using. Found the lens in Japan in excellent shape for a fair price and the seller has a very good reputation. Anyone dealt with eBay on lenses? Certainly this would be out of warranty but can’t imaging that if I needed repair it couldn’t be done Stateside (I’m in Colorado). The seller is https://www.ebay.com/str/japanbeststore.

I’m still sporting f-mount glass for my fairly new and still doing me right D850 and D6. Honestly I’ve been finding amazing deals on glass these days (and yes, at some point I to will move forward). But for now I’m content.

So I’ve been in the market for a while for a used Nikon 200mm f/2G ED VR II lens to be used mainly indoors at dog show events that I shoot frequently (just as a hobby). These always tend to be mediocre light at best and that coupled with dark-haired animals (Newfoundlands breed mainly) moving quickly demand for the best low light gear one has got. Shoot 70-200 2.8E FL as well as the 300 2.8G VR II with pretty good success but the 200 calls.

Finding these used in good condition is always a challenge. Decided on a whim to check eBay which I’ve always been a bit hesitant in using. Found the lens in Japan in excellent shape for a fair price and the seller has a very good reputation. Anyone dealt with eBay on lenses? Certainly this would be out of warranty but can’t imaging that if I needed repair it couldn’t be done Stateside (I’m in Colorado). The seller is https://www.ebay.com/str/japanbeststore.

I bought a couple of Ai-S lenses from Japan/eBay. No issues at all.

I have no personal experience, but if it was me I might buy if it is being sold by a Japanese camera shop. If it is being sold by an individual in an overseas country, no way.

I have bought products from international sellers but nothing hugely expensive. Generally what I have gotten that way has been decent quality. Shipment is usually slower but interestingly I have occasionally been surprised by how quick it came. I have bought Japanese made fountain pens that way a few times and saved a lot compared to US prices for the same pen.

I think Ebay's system does have some checks on sellers in that a bad reputation can wreck their rating. The rating system compels sellers to bend over backwards to keep its customers satified. If the company does a lot of business it has a strong incentive to avoid trouble.

That being said any lens you buy this way is going to be gray market with all the headaches that potentiall involves.

I would much prefer buying direct from individual sellers through the marketplace here or on FM. You can get to know yoru seller and the product's history in some detail. I have bought one of my Z9 bodies and 800mm pf that way and I was very satisfied with both transactions.

I would much prefer buying direct from individual sellers through the marketplace here or on FM. You can get to know yoru seller and the product's history in some detail. I have bought one of my Z9 bodies and 800mm pf that way and I was very satisfied with both transactions.
Part of me feels the same. Haven't looked at FM in a while. May just keep waiting for something here in the US.

If I couldn't find it locally, I'd go searching reputable camera shops on line and/or used gear stores like MPB and KEH. It may take a while to find exactly what you want, but the thrill of the hunt is part of the fun. If you need the lens right away and can't rent then maybe the international seller but I would be very hesitant to do it.

Back