Used Gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Is it time for a used gear section addition to the forum? I imagine most of us have a closet full of things we don't use anymore that other folks might. By personal experience Craigs List brings nothing but scammers. Only once did I sell something on Craig's List that actually worked. E Bay is ok for some folks to sell used gear but I will never use Pay Pal and don't want to pay 10%, particularly on expensive items. How about it?

Is it time for a used gear section addition to the forum? I imagine most of us have a closet full of things we don't use anymore that other folks might. By personal experience Craigs List brings nothing but scammers. Only once did I sell something on Craig's List that actually worked. E Bay is ok for some folks to sell used gear but I will never use Pay Pal and don't want to pay 10%, particularly on expensive items. How about it?
Sure like to see that - it would be very nice to deal with people who know what you are selling or looking for! There would also be a trust level because of the "posts" that we see from each other. Maybe the contact could be established on this Forum and the actual transaction take place off line? Don't want to create a lot more work for Steve!

but I will never use Pay Pal and don't want to pay 10%
I sure don't love excessive fees, but for the record Paypal currently charges the seller 2.9% plus a fixed 30 cent fee per U.S. transaction which is a lot less than 10%. There is no direct charge to the buyer to use Paypal's services but of course savvy sellers will work that into the sales price.

I sure don't love excessive fees, but for the record Paypal currently charges the seller 2.9% plus a fixed 30 cent fee per U.S. transaction which is a lot less than 10%. There is no direct charge to the buyer to use Paypal's services but of course savvy sellers will work that into the sales price.

I've sold a few things on Ebay, and somehow mine always come out to be about 10%.

I've sold a few things on Ebay, and somehow mine always come out to be about 10%.
Well eBay certainly takes their cut and thanks to the various states in recent years has been forced to charge sales tax (which they didn't do at the beginning) but eBay and Paypal are no longer the same company and it's a bit unfair to say Paypal charges 10% when they really charge less than 3%.

The pragmatic side of this is that in addition to eBay I've bought and sold a lot of photo and electronics gear on various websites and accept or often use Paypal for those transactions. Take eBay out of the equation and the Paypal fees alone really aren't that bad for the service they provide of instant payment and accepting credit card payments without having to maintain a merchant account. Sure, I'll also accept money orders but that slows down the transaction by a week or more until the MO clears and I ship the item.

Last edited:
If I were Steve I'd stay away from having a classified site. As already stated, there are lots of issues with running a site where thousands of dollars of gear and money change hands. I wouldn't want to get in the middle of that. Also, as someone who is very active buying and selling gear all the time, I find that there are already a lot of choices of where to go to buy or sell. They are all different and have strengths and weaknesses, but I just don't see what having another one would do to improve anyone's ability to find gear or to sell gear. Plus it would save Steve a lot of headaches that would come from being the referee on any disagreements.

If I were Steve I'd stay away from having a classified site. As already stated, there are lots of issues with running a site where thousands of dollars of gear and money change hands. I wouldn't want to get in the middle of that. Also, as someone who is very active buying and selling gear all the time, I find that there are already a lot of choices of where to go to buy or sell. They are all different and have strengths and weaknesses, but I just don't see what having another one would do to improve anyone's ability to find gear or to sell gear. Plus it would save Steve a lot of headaches that would come from being the referee on any disagreements.
I have the same concern for Steve and the impact it may have on his time! With that in mind I would appreciate if you'd let me/us know where a lot of these sites are and their contact info. I have 2 D500's and when Nikon comes out with a Z version that is comparable to the D850 in regard to AF speed and AF Tracking, I will want to sell one of my D500's and possibly my 70-200 F2.8 and replace it with the Z version. Also have some older 35 mm (Canon Ftb/Canon A-1 and three zooms) I'd like to find a buyer for - hate to throw them away!

Last edited:
Yes, it is a good idea in many ways, but more certainly, it could become a right royal pain for @Steve and other members. The only way that could work effectively is to make a general post stating you have something for sale, exchange real email or contact details in a PM and take it offline from the forum. At the same time an advertiser would have to make an acknowledgement that it is a private matter and of no concern to the forum.

Myself personally, I think there are enough options out there to buy and sell and with camera gear, as much as I would more likely to be able to trust people in this forum, with the flood of grey market equipment out there, I would rather buy from from a reputable dealer where you have some form of warranty and comeback if things go sour. Anything I buy on eBay or other such market comes with due diligence and must fit the bill of "what do I need it for, how much will I really lose if it does go sour (double dip - the cost of the item plus its replacement), if I get 12 months out of it, has it served its purpose and how much am I prepared to spend to take a chance on something"

I'm pleased with the site as it is. I have other sites i use to buy or sell used gear.

But it would be totally up to Steve.

W
I agree, that I think it would take more time and effort than what Steve would want to put into it, but would sure appreciate if those that know, would post some other sites that they recommend. Thanks!
Not interested in Ebay and when I was looking for a used Gitzo Tripod on Craigs List, I went to every city in the US that was listed and found one Gitzo 3543XLS and guess what - it was sold! :)

IF... and I say this with no Direct Knowledge of course.. If They were to start a for sale forum they could also get someone to monitor it.... As I agree, it would be something that Steve and Rose probably don't have time for. With strict rules in place (for instance having to be a member for so long and having to have so many posts) you would keep out the riff raff... which like @LL4D500 said would be nice to "know" someone from the board when buy something. either way it not the end of the world and Im just thankful Steve and Rose started this Message Board.

I'm fortunate to live in the Baltimore. MD metro area (not the city) and have access to a brick and mortar camera shop. Bought a used nikon d810 over a year ago and not problems. Otherwise try B and H or Adorama in NY

I've sold a few things on eBay, and somehow mine always come out to be about 10%.
If you purchase an item from eBay you will be charged 10% and that's Ebay's cut. Paypal will then charge you 2.9% + 30 cents and that's Paypal's cut. So, in effect when you purchase an item from eBay your expense for the transaction will be 12.9%. BTW, eBay includes the shipping charge in the 10% fee. If you have to refund a buyer's money Paypal keeps the 2.9% fee. I've done business with eBay and Paypal for many years and believe me, they have all their bases covered.

I think it would be fine as long as he had some basic rules...use the board for listing only and all negotiations, payment, and shipping are between the two individuals and not handled on the board but via their own email...and second make a rule that he isn’t responsible for unhappybuyers or sellers and will not take sides or play referee. With those stipulations I don’t think the workload would be all that high...but as noted there are other places to sell or buy gear online.

I personally don't think it's merely the workload - there's also the ownership, responsibility and potential integrity issues at play also. Stay away from this Steve - you have too good a reputation to have it marred by a potential scam or at minimum, dispute which would cast doubt on your reputation.

I bought a SW AFS 80~200mm F:2.8D used from MPB and here is one of the images it produced. Not to bad for only 471.00.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 110
Back