Using HLG stills in 4K HDR video

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MotoPixel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Doing some further testing here ahead of some upcoming travel, including the April eclipse. As I was nearing home today, I noticed some geese at a pond, so stopped and fired off a few shots...very bright, cloudless day, so very contrasty light.

https://vimeo.com/921870873/cfb5ed2695?share=copy

In general, I'm shooting most of my stills in RAW+HIF now as it's far easier to insert an edited (in LRC HDR) HLG still in an HDR timeline in Resolve along with HDR content from my Z8 or Z9. Fairly easy to get the color grade on the stills and video to match up. This clip is only stills and was uploaded to Vimeo in HLG HDR, H.265 10-bit. Images were edited in LRC, cropped to 16:9 and exported as HIF (original) in BT2020 color space.

Of course you'll need to view on an HDR capable device (phone or TV) to view in HDR, but if you're on an SDR display, Vimeo will just output an SDR version to you, so both bases covered with one upload! :)

Cheers,

Back