Using Nikon 600mm f4E FL ED VR AF-S Lens with Z9 and Z8. Advice please or opt for Z 600PF?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Steve, I am considering a Nikon 600mm f4E FL ED VR AF-S Lens with adapter to use on my Z9 and Z8, does anyone have experience of this combination, or would I be better losing the f4 advantage and go with the Nikon Z600 f6.3 PF. I would appreciate your thoughts on image quality and usability etc.

I have used the adapted 600FL on Z9 for a long time and have always found it outstanding. It depends a bit on what kind of photography you do, for example if you're always in the mountains walking for hours and big differences in altitude the weight gets to you, but I wouldn't give up an f/4 for a 6.3😉

It had been my go-to combination (with Z9), used extensively over a year in all sorts of circumstances. I dropped it twice though, eventually requiring a full fix but then I sold it to partially fund a Z 600 f4.

I do not know how to present photos here, the quality suffers greatly when presented in the required format. I recommend running a query for "600mm fl f4 Z9" on flickr but it is a state-of-the-art lens that works very well with a Z9/Z8 plus takes TC's very well.

I can also recommend a Mr Jan Gear front carrier that makes it very easy to keep things safe and balanced symmetrically so that the weight is not biased towards left or right. My hand-holding "session" in that case would normally last 2-3 min and then I can hang the kit on the carrier with about 6-10 sec required to have it ready to point at the skies.

Highly recommended but yes, I'm a big fan of f2.8 and f4 but the foreseeable (and expensive) future is mirrorless lenses so it is a bit of a choice.

The lens will be fine on the two Z camera bodies, with the FTZ. Super sharp and fast focus.

The big concern is the weight difference, that 600 f4 is a heavy, solid made lens. The 600Z is light, tight, right, perfect for the 2 camera bodies you use. I enjoy mine and would not ponder a moment of using the 600E honker, 600 6.3Z all the way. You too will love it

Thanks for the replies so far. Weight is not too much of an issue, mostly concerned with performance and IQ with Z8/9 I shoot wildlife in the UK some birds (raptors) and mammals. We have foxes and badgers living in our woodland,so I'm very lucky.

Thanks for the replies so far. Weight is not too much of an issue, mostly concerned with performance and IQ with Z8/9 I shoot wildlife in the UK some birds (raptors) and mammals. We have foxes and badgers living in our woodland,so I'm very lucky.
In that case (also in the UK), I'd say go for it, but make sure it is a good copy. The quality should be breathtaking.

I have the 600 Z PF and love the lens. Light weight and compact. yes i lose 1 and 1/3 stop so not quite as clean backgrounds and need to push the ISO, but for the weight and size, I consider this a reasonable trade off. Also for me, the Z 600 on a Z 8 or Z 9 is handholdable while the FX lens would not Meaning I can respond faster and get shots I would have lost while I work on a tripod / gimbal head

I know the majority of people here (if there was a vote) would completely go for lighter lenses. Well, I have tried them all, and I do not like them because I could not get the results I wanted. If you are saying you have a wrong technique, I may not have a perfect technique, but why do I get markedly better results with proper superteles? It is not about bokeh at all. It is not about mythical sharpness in the back garden. It is about what you can do in the field, under pressure, with a one-off chance and get the best result possible when you won't see this bird, ever, again, or live situation of that kind again.

Back