Using Nikon Auto AF fine tune with Tamron Tap in Console

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

From another thread about The tam 100-400 I had a request to show how you can do the 15 measurements in 20 min.
You need a contrasty movable target ..a strip of black gaffer tape on a white card would be fine and a piece of paper with 1.5/3.5 /infinity at the top and 100/135/200/300/400 at the side. In menu set FFA to ON and zero. Make sure you have latest firmware on the lens.
Set up a target at 1.5m and 100mm Engage live view and check it says at the top of rear screen AF-s and wide . Rotate control wheel to get AF-s
Half press the release and check focus on live view screen. Press the focus mode adjust and record button together followed by OK when told.
Go to menu and read the FFA figure. Write this on your paper.. Re set menu to zero
Repeat for all other 14 values. Should give you this or similar though the second of my lenses is totally different and all + values
100...-6 -3+2
135...-7 -3 +2
200... -9 -4 +0
300... -10 -6 -2
400... -13 -8 -4
Note how the figures drift in one direction both horizontally and vertically .. re-test any rogue values
Put lens on tap in colsole and enter the figures.

job done .when you get into the swing of it say 20 min

From another thread about The tam 100-400 I had a request to show how you can do the 15 measurements in 20 min.
You need a contrasty movable target ..a strip of black gaffer tape on a white card would be fine and a piece of paper with 1.5/3.5 /infinity at the top and 100/135/200/300/400 at the side. In menu set FFA to ON and zero. Make sure you have latest firmware on the lens.
Set up a target at 1.5m and 100mm Engage live view and check it says at the top of rear screen AF-s and wide . Rotate control wheel to get AF-s
Half press the release and check focus on live view screen. Press the focus mode adjust and record button together followed by OK when told.
Go to menu and read the FFA figure. Write this on your paper.. Re set menu to zero
Repeat for all other 14 values. Should give you this or similar though the second of my lenses is totally different and all + values
100...-6 -3+2
135...-7 -3 +2
200... -9 -4 +0
300... -10 -6 -2
400... -13 -8 -4
Note how the figures drift in one direction both horizontally and vertically .. re-test any rogue values
Put lens on tap in colsole and enter the figures.

job done .when you get into the swing of it say 20 min

To be clear, you use a target at 1.5 meters and at 100 meters?

The tap in requires you to give it a fine focus correction figure at 1.5 m.3.5m and infinity so you can use the same chart at all the distances. Question is how far away is infinity? For the shorter distances I use the chart and 400 mm I usually use about 60 yards with a contrasty subject. As long as it's flat you will be OK

The tap in requires you to give it a fine focus correction figure at 1.5 m.3.5m and infinity so you can use the same chart at all the distances. Question is how far away is infinity? For the shorter distances I use the chart and 400 mm I usually use about 60 yards with a contrasty subject. As long as it's flat you will be OK
Got it, thanks.

I am soon getting the Tamron 24-70mm version (already ordered) . That Tap in console looks complicated. Is it really necessary? Can't I just fine tune my Nikon D810 with that lens ?
That bit of kit is expensive at £75

Well you can do a fine tune at 70 mm and you will get near perfection but a reange of 100-400 is a bit more of a stretch....Women are complicated but once you get the hang of it its ok

Back