Using teleconverter with F2Z

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Also keep in mind, that when using an adapted F-mount lens; you need to use an F-mount TC as well (Z one will not work).

Other than that, works like a charm as Karen mentioned.

Does the autofocus still work on f lenses if a teleconverter is used? If so does it work as normal or slower focusing?
In fact, F mount lenses+ F mount TCs work even better with the Z cameras than they do on DSLRs.
Better AF - Faster and more consistent, better precision due to no need for any fine tuning.

Edit: btw, the AF speed is dependant on the Z body i.e. on a Z9, it works really well. With Z6/7 etc. focus speed is a bit slow.

It only gets better. Both accuracy of focus and speed(with Z9). The only downside to using f mount glass on Z bodies is that VR runs continuously until camera goes to sleep or is turned off.

If I get a z8/9 I will be using my 500mm PF on it and the sigma 150-600 on the D500.
Was hoping to use the f mount 1.4 teleconverter with it. The 2.0 I have was a waste of funds.

If I get a z8/9 I will be using my 500mm PF on it and the sigma 150-600 on the D500.
Was hoping to use the f mount 1.4 teleconverter with it. The 2.0 I have was a waste of funds.
I did some testing with Z9/500PF/f-mount 1.4x TC. It worked great. Fast, accurate AF and IQ at least as good as with D850. Yes IMO the f-mount 2xTC was a waste of money. Only time it was ever useful was on a 300mm f2.8. And then it significantly degraded IQ.

Does the autofocus still work on f lenses if a teleconverter is used? If so does it work as normal or slower focusing?
ML AF works with lens combinations with a combined aperture much slower than the common f8 minimum aperture on Nikon high end DSLR's.
You get decent AF with Z7/9 with an F mount 500mm f5.6 and 2x effective f11 - compared to no AF on the best Nikon DSLRs.

By way of clarification Nikon F mount converters can only be fitted to the rear of a modest number of F mount lens.
Similarly Z mount converters can only be fitted to the rear of a modest number of Z mount lenses.
Nikon Z mount converters cannot be fitted to the rear of the FTZ.
There is no way of using a Z mount converter in combination with an F mount lens.

Back