If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Platalea ajaja

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Although these birds are quite common in their home range, they are quite the rarity here in Central Florida. This guy has been hanging around for months, along with a Tropical Kingbird. Fast little guys. Trying to catch them in flight was quite the challenge for me. I have hundreds of frames with absolutely no bird in it whatsoever.

And when I did manage to catch him in the frame, most were OOF, even at 1/3200 or 1/4000. It took a lot of patience, which I am in short supply of. I was quite excited when I saw this one, but as per @Steve recent video on sharpness, he would undoubtedly say this is not critically sharp, and of course, as always, he would be correct. So I'm not completely satisfied, but I am encouraged. Just need to keep going back and trying for more.

2024-N-0032.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Although these birds are quite common in their home range, they are quite the rarity here in Central Florida. This guy has been hanging around for months, along with a Tropical Kingbird. Fast little guys. Trying to catch them in flight was quite the challenge for me. I have hundreds of frames with absolutely no bird in it whatsoever.

And when I did manage to catch him in the frame, most were OOF, even at 1/3200 or 1/4000. It took a lot of patience, which I am in short supply of. I was quite excited when I saw this one, but as per @Steve recent video on sharpness, he would undoubtedly say this is not critically sharp, and of course, as always, he would be correct. So I'm not completely satisfied, but I am encouraged. Just need to keep going back and trying for more.

View attachment 80029
Awesome capture John.
Happy trails.

Really like this John, well done!!