Video describing Z9 focussing issue

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I noticed this "issue" a few weeks ago and even sent Nikon a video about it. But from what I'm hearing this is an issue related to mirrorless tech and not a Nikon issue. I've heard from multiple people that the Canon and Sony offerings act in a similar way. Personally I think mirrorless cameras should rack focus back if the focus is quickly and repeatedly activated without taking a photo (half press shutter button 3 times in a row and focus racks back and attempts to reacquire). Needing to manually rack focus or use focus buttons on the lens is a bit hacky in my opinion.

I've had the same exact issue with DSLRs when shooting close subjects like dragonflies. Maybe it is more pronounced with mirrorless tech, I don't know, but it's not a new problem. Prefocusing has always been my solution. Newer lenses with programable buttons make focusing at a particular predetermined distance pretty easy.

I've had the same exact issue with DSLRs when shooting close subjects like dragonflies. Maybe it is more pronounced with mirrorless tech, I don't know, but it's not a new problem. Prefocusing has always been my solution. Newer lenses with programable buttons make focusing at a particular predetermined distance pretty easy.
My same thoughts. There have always been similar issues with DSLR AF. Maybe what's different now is expectations. People forget even though the new AF systems seem like magic they are in fact technology. Until we start getting chip implants in our brains the camera doesn't know what we want to focus on without a bit of guidance.

Back