Video Editing Workflow

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

How do all of you edit one video then stitch them together? Is there like a 'Raw conversion' for video? Right now I don't edit exposure or colors, just straight to speed and putting them together. I use iMovie.

Different video clips can be edited and "stitched" together in a video editor using a timeline. You can use transistions between clips or not.

While many of the popular video editors use some type of NLE workflow, they all vary in their workflow and complexity. If you want a very basic, but capable, editor to try out for free, consider Shotkit. If you want to dive in the deeper end of the pool and your hardware will support it, Resolve is also free and popular. And there are many in between these two programs. But as @PhilcTx said above, most use some form of timeline.

Good luck,

--Ken

Is there like a 'Raw conversion' for video?

Not sure about this question. There are DSLR/mirrorless cameras that can shoot video in a "RAW" video format usually Apple's ProRes RAW but maybe others. For cameras that support RAW video the camera's RAW output usually is sent via camera's HDMI interface/cable to an external video recorder instead of recording the RAW video on an internal memory card.

The question of RAW convertors for video becomes how do you edit the RAW video. That is likely determined by the camera's video codec used for recording and the video editor used for post-production. There are video converters to change video files from one codec to a different one if needed. One example: Shutter Encoder https://www.shutterencoder.com

Not sure about this question. There are DSLR/mirrorless cameras that can shoot video in a "RAW" video format usually Apple's ProRes RAW but maybe others. For cameras that support RAW video the camera's RAW output usually is sent via camera's HDMI interface/cable to an external video recorder instead of recording the RAW video on an internal memory card.

The question of RAW convertors for video becomes how do you edit the RAW video. That is likely determined by the camera's video codec used for recording and the video editor used for post-production. There are video converters to change video files from one codec to a different one if needed. One example: Shutter Encoder https://www.shutterencoder.com
Some now have internal RAW recording capabilities and DaVinci Resolve can read and process assuming you have the appropriate computer horsepower.

Some now have internal RAW recording capabilities and DaVinci Resolve can read and process assuming you have the appropriate computer horsepower.

Yes - this is true.

It's probably helpful to note that shooting video RAW has considerably more "overhead" requirements for data storage and hardware computing power, etc. required to store and post-process. There are other high quality video formats very suitable for hobbyist/enthusiast and even commercial video work besides RAW. The various Log and HLG formats are examples.

Last edited:
Yes - this is true.

It's probably helpful to note that shooting video RAW has considerably more "overhead" requirements for data storage and hardware computing power, etc. required to store and post-process. There are other high quality video formats very suitable for hobbyist/enthusiast and even commercial video work besides RAW. The various Log and HLG formats are examples.
100% agree. I find myself shooting pretty much NLog all the time now.

Perhaps it is not about Video Editing Workflow..
I try to cut the video to fit it to music. So, I choose the music according to the story. Then I cut the video so, that the native sounds also fit to the music. Here an example:
Guinea Fowl alarm call fits to the somber or thrilled music. And the pause in the music fits the scene where the lion is hanging on the buffalo throat and you think it is over...

At least I tried... ;-)
and if you have some emotions during this short video (like sorry for buffalo or may for lion?) than I succeeded :)

I know I need to work on my stabilisation, camera holding and other skills. But I decided I will do try and try and try to make videos. Even if they not so good as I'd like them to be.
I also combined the footage of
1. GoPro Hero11
2. Nikon z30
3. Nikon z9
4. Some old footage with the car (made by D4 I guess)

During filming lions chasing buffalos with z9 I put Nikon z30 on tripod and didn't care about it anymore. That is why I get the more or less wide-angle scenes where three lions are running behind the buffalos. That time I had 100-400 on z9 and it was too long for that scene but it was great when I needed to zoom to the lion who took the buffalo.

So, I would say to use different cameras/lenses and combine the footage is not a bad idea.
Actually I rather concerned in my ability to hold the camera and make all those B-Rolls and other camera technics than in processing itself. If I willl not have stabilised good footage than there is nothing to process... And I can see on my footage how much I need to improve!

Perhaps it is not about Video Editing Workflow..
I try to cut the video to fit it to music. So, I choose the music according to the story. Then I cut the video so, that the native sounds also fit to the music. Here an example:
Guinea Fowl alarm call fits to the somber or thrilled music. And the pause in the music fits the scene where the lion is hanging on the buffalo throat and you think it is over...

At least I tried... ;-)
and if you have some emotions during this short video (like sorry for buffalo or may for lion?) than I succeeded :)

I know I need to work on my stabilisation, camera holding and other skills. But I decided I will do try and try and try to make videos. Even if they not so good as I'd like them to be.
I also combined the footage of
1. GoPro Hero11
2. Nikon z30
3. Nikon z9
4. Some old footage with the car (made by D4 I guess)

During filming lions chasing buffalos with z9 I put Nikon z30 on tripod and didn't care about it anymore. That is why I get the more or less wide-angle scenes where three lions are running behind the buffalos. That time I had 100-400 on z9 and it was too long for that scene but it was great when I needed to zoom to the lion who took the buffalo.

So, I would say to use different cameras/lenses and combine the footage is not a bad idea.
Actually I rather concerned in my ability to hold the camera and make all those B-Rolls and other camera technics than in processing itself. If I willl not have stabilised good footage than there is nothing to process... And I can see on my footage how much I need to improve!

That was incredible! Thanks for the advice.

Yo, video editing can sometimes be a real hassle, but it's great that you do it! If you're looking for a program to convert raw video, check out movavi.com, they have excellent video editing tools that can help you. You can also stitch together different clips, as the editor has beautiful features that make it easy to combine other clips and add some cool effects. I really like them, and sometimes I forget the time when I start editing videos. This has allowed me to learn more about the editor and develop my skills. Keep up the excellent work, and I'm sure you'll be successful.

Last edited:
Back