viewfinder miss the over or under exposure settings

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi, I have two z8n and like them of course but I badly miss not being able to see in the viewfinder or the screen the over or under exposure setting at that moment. I mean after I set to over or under expose, the yellow exposure setting with the exposure value disappears and what I se is just a zero setting. Am i missing something or Nikon is leaving out an obvious feature?

I'm wondering if this is manual shooting or one of the modes or it doesn't matter?

Hi, I have two z8n and like them of course but I badly miss not being able to see in the viewfinder or the screen the over or under exposure setting at that moment. I mean after I set to over or under expose, the yellow exposure setting with the exposure value disappears and what I se is just a zero setting. Am i missing something or Nikon is leaving out an obvious feature?
If you're talking about the Exposure Compensation indicator then yeah it's a bit strange how Nikon handles this.

As you make adjustments to Exposure Compensation the amount lights up in amber and you can dial in positive or negative compensation or zero it to restore no compensation. But as soon as you begin shooting that amber number disappears. But if you do have anything other than zero compensation dialed in you see the small +/- indictor down at the bottom of the screen though it doesn't tell you how much compensation is dialed in or even whether it's positive or negative compensation. If you go back into adjustment mode and zero it out then when you shoot you don't see that icon telling you the camera is shooting without any exposure compensation.

It sure would be nice if the amount and direction of the compensation continued to show in the Z8 viewfinder while actually shooting but that's not how Nikon has designed the camera.

I've grown accustomed to how Canon does it, but I'd probably get used to another way also. On Canon you see the usual -3 to 0 to +3 display on the bottom. The little mark is centered if the auto iso can make the indicated exposure, if it can't or if exp comp is engaged the mark moves so you see if it is +1 or whatever away from the exposure the meter guessed at. Your way would work too though, as long as you get the info about how far the actual is from the metered exposure.

I think if you shot full manual you would see it the way you like it?

Back