Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary Advice Requested

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have been several times. You will see a lot of black bears.... no worry there. By August they will already be entering hyperphagia and fattening up for winter. The sanctuary is only open 3 hours a day and you need to shoot from an elevated platform and no tripods. If you do a photo excursion (either thru the organization or privately) you enter in the mornings also and be eye level with the bears (this is what I have done) and you can use what you want.
It is easier to get clean shots that way as the bears are normally at or near feeding stations.

I have been several times over the years making the long trek from Australia, the last being July 2023. I assume you would go as a photographer and buy a daily pass? It's well worth it, I can't think of a similar set up to be able to shoot wild black bears and be amongst them. You get a safety briefing the day before, but the big males are there to EAT and have no interest in you! But....you have to be ever vigilant and careful especially with the yearlings and younger bears, who can approach right up to you as a 'test'. They're not out to harm you but very curious.

Gear wise, I shoot m43 but I used to go in my Nikon days also. I found an equivalent 80-400/100-400 very useful along with a 70-200 and a 105 also. Last year I went with my Oly 150-400, 40-150 etc and they were perfect. The main problem in July was the light. They only let you in now at 7am I think, it used to be earlier, and so there was already a lot of glare with the sunny weather/clear skies that year. You really want bright but even overcast, cloudy weather, which I had at times in previous trips.

I would recommend to go with a daily photo pass ($250) and have the whole day there (they only allow a handful of people in a day) and stay on maybe when it opens to the public at 5pm and enjoy the bears from the walkways. Proper photo ops from the public platforms are not really possible due to the crowds and elevation, you want to be at their level obviously. It's a good, safe setup and they are lovely people at VCWS and a one off opportunity really. Message me if you need any advice on places to stay (book early) or any other info :)

I don't have any suggestions specific to the month of August, but as a general suggestion, I would simply offer the opinion that the best shots to be had are in the trees and beyond the treeline. Sure, it's cool to see the bears up close in the meadow, but that's not a setting that's going to enhance the images, and it's also where light is most likely to be harsh. As for gear, a telephoto zoom and a normal-short telephoto zoom should be all you need. I went with a 24-105 and a 200-600 and did not feel like I needed anything else. Be sure you take sunscreen and bug spray, and even though it will be warm, pants and long sleeves are a better idea than shorts and short sleeves.

Last edited:
I have never been and never would go. Except in unusual circumstances (orchestrated by Game & Fish officials), I feel feeding of wild animals is unethical. I don't even like bird feeders (and BBC Wildlife had an article about how they disrupt the natural balance by allowing more aggressive bird species to overpopulate). Before you visit and support this place, at least read this:

I have never been and never would go. Except in unusual circumstances (orchestrated by Game & Fish officials), I feel feeding of wild animals is unethical. I don't even like bird feeders (and BBC Wildlife had an article about how they disrupt the natural balance by allowing more aggressive bird species to overpopulate). Before you visit and support this place, at least read this:
I think there are 2 sides to the story and a historical background -- Vince started feeding the bears years ago and set up the sanctuary to protect the bears from hunters. It would not be formed today. They will tell you not to feed bears. They do work with the DNR doing research on the local population. The organization is a non-profit (the money goes back into the bears and education) and most of the people there are volunteers. It seems most of the themes on that post are from an intern who made the wrong decision for herself. It is not a vacation, long hours. I think they get 1 shower a week.

Our state fish and wildlife feeds elk in the winter. The feedings draw the elk away from ranches and farms where they would otherwise congregate and cause damage. If there is enough damage, ODFW has to organize special hunts to reduce herd size and mitigate the damage. So, choices, be true to your motives and beliefs at the expense of the animal; or, intervene in their natural behavior to save them from human predation. My take, feeding isn’t always bad.

I appreciate your position and concern but I am certainly not going to condemn a place based on a single second hand Reddit post let alone one that is directly contradicted in the very same thread. As a general principal, I would agree that baiting and feeding can be problematic. That said, we humans have pushed ourselves and intruded into areas where wildlife existed in balance. By doing so, we have altered that balance. So if places like this are necessary for the species to flourish, I'm certainly not in any position to condemn them.

I don't have any suggestions specific to the month of August, but as a general suggestion, I would simply offer the opinion that the best shots to be had are in the trees and beyond the treeline. Sure, it's cool to see the bears up close in the meadow, but that's not a setting that's going to enhance the images, and it's also where light is most likely to be harsh. As for gear, a telephoto zoom and a normal-short telephoto zoom should be all you need. I went with a 24-105 and a 200-600 and did not feel like I needed anything else. Be sure you take sunscreen and bug spray, and even though it will be warm, pants and long sleeves are a better idea than shorts and short sleeves.

I had not known about this wildlife sanctuary. These are terrific photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Wow, I've lived in Minnesota for 11 years and didn't know this place existed. Very excited to book a date, thank you for bringing this to my attention!

I had not known about this wildlife sanctuary. These are terrific photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Yeah I live just into Wisconsin across from the Twin Cities, been here for probably three decades, and I'm just learning about this, too! I see a trip in my future...

I've been shooting at Vince Schutte since 1996, and have been visiting every other year for the last 15 or so. In my opinion, the best time to visit is in late May or early June. The cubs are young at that time and the mothers tree them so they can eat.
I have been to the sanctuary in August a few times, and the later you go, the better it will be. As stated, the bears will be in hyperphagia and will be eating a lot. You will still have an opportunity to photograph bears in trees and will also see some competitive play.
Linked is a blog post I wrote last year : https://bruce-leventhal.squarespace.com/bruceleventhal/2023/8/31/fat-ol-bear

Definitely buy a "photographer's pass" and try to get a minimum of 2 days. The morning is the best time and hope for some partly cloudy to overcast light. The forest gets very contrasty and the photography is very hard if the light is harsh. The photographer's pass allows you to wander throughout and shoot all day. I also suggest that you get in on a Monday, as the sanctuary is closed to tourists on Monday. This allows you to shoot alone all day long.
Have fun!
bruce

BlackBear PortraitZ8L_4218-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I am looking into making a trip up to the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary in early August. Anyone have any experience there around that time of year that the are willing to share? Thanks.
Just a friendly suggestion for those of us who have never heard of the "Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary" and have no clue in what part of the world it is located. It would be appreciated if you mention the location to orient the unaware. I try to make it a point to include where in the world a location is if I mention a particular spot since readers of forums like this one could be situated anywhere in the world.

Just a friendly suggestion for those of us who have never heard of the "Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary" and have no clue in what part of the world it is located. It would be appreciated if you mention the location to orient the unaware. I try to make it a point to include where in the world a location is if I mention a particular spot since readers of forums like this one could be situated anywhere in the world.
Agree best to say where locations are for those who do not know them by name. The
sanctuary is in Northern Minnesota (United States). Near the town of Orr.

Agree best to say where locations are for those who do not know them by name. The
sanctuary is in Northern Minnesota (United States). Near the town of Orr.
Sure... happy to share. The American Bear Organization ( https://www.americanbear.org/ ) is located between Cook and Orr MN. If you are planning a trip, I suggest that you budget the time to photograph pelicans on Pelican Lake in Orr as well a few days to see Voyageurs National Park along the Canadian Border. Voyageurs is a great place to rent a canoe to do canoe camping, or rent a houseboat to do a mix of wilderness photography and fishing. The visitors center at Lake Kabetogema is a premier location to photograph showy lady slippers and yellow lady slippers as well. These flowers bloom in late May through the first week of June. Furthermore, if you do a bog hike and hike through pine forests you'll be able to find other hard to see wildflowers that include, but are not limited to, sundews, pitcher plants, pink lady slipper, dragon's orchid, striped coralroot orchid, and the parasitic Indian pipe plant. The region is very rich with warblers in late May with 24 species either nesting or migrating through. Yellow and blackburnian being two of the more flamboyant species.

Depending on the year, you'll have a chance to see moose, beaver, river otter, lynx, and wolf in Voyageurs... While Vince Schute is easy photography, the other stuff will require persistence and willingness to endure mosquitos, black flies, deer flies, and tics.

regards,
bruce

Back