Voice Notes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
On a number of pro bodies, you can leave a voice note associated with an image. I do this for species identificaton but I have found that LR and PhotoMechanics does not include voice notes (.wav) files as part of the catalog.

Does anyone have an efficient way to handle/management voice notes. I identify a species on 1 picture in a series, often not the best image. As I cull my images I could accidiently delete the image with the voice note.

It would be nice if I could find all the images with voice notes and make copies of the images and voice notes and put them in a safe area. This would help with species ID later.

Any thoughts or techniques anyone is using?

Thanks

I use Photo Mechanic and add voice memos to ID competitors in sports event at times. I play the voice memo later to write my caption so there is that record but also when I store that folder of images to an external hard drive the .wav voice files are always there when I return to that folder. So I'm not sure why you are not seeing your .wav files.

I copy my images into a folder on my hard drive and then import them into LRC from their current location. If there are any voice memos they are copied with the images to the same folder when I copy the files. I don't know if the voice memos are copies from the card if the images are copied to a new folder during the import process in LRC. You might have to test that out. I also don't know if PhotoMechanic will copy the Voice Memos when importing files.

The voice memos are available in the library module under metadata and there is a play button next to the wave file. I had to turn on audio file in the customize setting under metadata in order to see it. The Audio File option only shows for those images that have a Voice Memo.

I don't believe there is a way to filter in LRC to display images with .wav files but there is a plugin called Any Filter that will allow you to filter by associated file types.

Last edited:
The voice memo always accompanies the file when ingested onto my hard drive via Photo Mechanic. Similarly when I move those images from my laptop to an external drive the voice memos or .wav files accompany the images.

I copy my images into a folder on my hard drive and then import them into LRC from their current location. If there are any voice memos they are copied with the images to the same folder when I copy the files. I don't know if the voice memos are copies from the card if the images are copied to a new folder during the import process in LRC. You might have to test that out. I also don't know if PhotoMechanic will copy the Voice Memos when importing files.

The voice memos are available in the library module under metadata and there is a play button next to the wave file. I had to turn on audio file in the customize setting under metadata in order to see it. The Audio File option only shows for those images that have a Voice Memo.

I don't believe there is a way to filter in LRC to display images with .wav files but there is a plugin called Any Filter that will allow you to filter by associated file types.

...by text maybe.... search for .wav???

Right now my process is very manual. Search for .wav files, duplicate and copy the .wav file and associate image to another folder. Rinse and repeat for each .wav file.

I guess I could right a file to run in the terminal which would do this process. But it would be a lot of work. It would be nice if Adobe would handle this for us.

...by text maybe.... search for .wav???
Right now my process is very manual. Search for .wav files, duplicate and copy the .wav file and associate image to another folder. Rinse and repeat for each .wav file.

I guess I could right a file to run in the terminal which would do this process. But it would be a lot of work. It would be nice if Adobe would handle this for us.

Here is a quick link to playing the .wav file in LRC associated with an image file.

Here is a quick link to the Any Filter plugin for LRC that will allow you to filter images based on file attributes like .wav

Back