VR mode switching with Nikon Z lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I wonder how you guys think about the absence of a VR mode switch on the recent Z lenses.

I am finding myself quite often switching between sports mode and normal mode (500PF).
As far as I understand, there is no possibility to assign a VR mode switch to either of the customizable buttons (Z9/Z8). I don't understand why.
It seems that the only way to switch between modes when using Z lenses is to use the i-menu, which I find uncomfortable.

I am looking towards the 800PF, since there are some in the shelfs now, but the lack of a VR switch is something that really bothers me.

If you are photographing animals/birds that aren't moving, normal VR provides a little more stabilization. If/when they move , a quick switch to sport mode can be beneficial. I have mine on the i-menu. I just leave it in sport mode. I do agree with the OP that I wish they had a switch on the 800pf but they don't and I suspect all future Z lenses will be likewise.

If you are photographing animals/birds that aren't moving, normal VR provides a little more stabilization. If/when they move , a quick switch to sport mode can be beneficial. I have mine on the i-menu. I just leave it in sport mode. I do agree with the OP that I wish they had a switch on the 800pf but they don't and I suspect all future Z lenses will be likewise.
But with full VR, doesn't it jump? On my long lens, it always seemed to me to move with full VR.

It does recenter, which can change the framing a bit. But at least if subject recognition is working well, there won't be any disruption in terms of AF.

The improved stabilization in Normal mode is worth it for stationary subjects at slower shutter speeds.

I never turn it off with my new Z lenses. I always have them in sports mode and I have not been able to tell the difference between turning it off at high shutter speeds or leaving it on, neither have I seen a difference between sports and normal mode for stationary subjects.

Now I have not done any scientific tests to come to this conclusion, I simple tested it in the field, looked at 100% through the viewfinder at the result and never looked back after leaving it in sports mode.

I wonder how you guys think about the absence of a VR mode switch on the recent Z lenses.

I am finding myself quite often switching between sports mode and normal mode (500PF).
As far as I understand, there is no possibility to assign a VR mode switch to either of the customizable buttons (Z9/Z8). I don't understand why.
It seems that the only way to switch between modes when using Z lenses is to use the i-menu, which I find uncomfortable.

I am looking towards the 800PF, since there are some in the shelfs now, but the lack of a VR switch is something that really bothers me.
I have set the video record button for My menu that has a list of top 5 settings i frequently use and VR setting is one of those. You can rank the list of settings in my menu depending on what's most important to you. In my case shutter vs BBAF is rank 1, subject detection is rank 2 and VR is rank 3 on the list.

This is much easier than i button.

I understand why some switch from normal to sport. However, I have always just left my VR set to Sport ever since the days of G series f-mount lenses. Guess my coordination is such that the changes from a static critter to a moving one are enough that I can’t handle yet another thing to need to deal with. :)

But with full VR, doesn't it jump? On my long lens, it always seemed to me to move with full VR.
With my 100-400mm lens on my Z9 I’ve noticed a slight visual jump in the viewfinder when the shutter is engaged (half press of shutter button). My retailer explained that it’s due to “synchro VR” engagement.

With my 100-400mm lens on my Z9 I’ve noticed a slight visual jump in the viewfinder when the shutter is engaged (half press of shutter button). My retailer explained that it’s due to “synchro VR” engagement.
I think that's just the VR waking up in general. Does the same thing on DSLRs. Won't do it with f-mount lenses on Z9 because the VR never goes to sleep. Which makes no sense to me but apparently does to Nikon.

(never trust explanaitons from retailers)
I wonder how you manage to wake up the VR while the EVF is on. As far as I know, VR is continuously working unless the camera is in standby and EVF is off.
I don't have the 100-400, so it might be different with that.
Or are you shooting in pre capture mode?

(never trust explanaitons from retailers)
I wonder how you manage to wake up the VR while the EVF is on. As far as I know, VR is continuously working unless the camera is in standby and EVF is off.
I don't have the 100-400, so it might be different with that.
Or are you shooting in pre capture mode?
EVF is on and I don’t use precapture. As I said, it happens when the subject is acquired as it is moving and the shutter button is half pressed. I haven’t noticed the phenomenon when the subject is stationary.

Back