Warning if you're planning to take photos in India and have Peak Design straps

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use the grey/silver slides and cuff attachment made by Peak Design. I just wanted to bring to people's attention something which I wasn't aware of until yesterday. I'm going to India on holiday later this year. The information pack from the tour company contains the following: ' When visiting Jain temples, you must not wear or take in any leather items such as belts, watches, camera straps, purses and shoes. ' I contacted Peak Designs who confirmed that the accents on the slides I have ARE made of leather and hence will be prohibited. The accents on the black ones are made of hypalon and not leather. I've no idea how strictly the rules are enforced but, just in case, I'm taking my non-leather Nikon strap for use in these temples. Just thought that I'd mention it in case anyone is thinking of buying Peak Design's excellent products and are likely to be travelling to India or anywhere likely to have similar rules.

Are you on a temple tour? Are you planning to visit Jain temples? Most big temples have bag deposit counters to safely store bags. Not all temples allow photography so please check temple rules. Bag being leather is a non issue in 99.99% of places in india. Just don’t use banned wildlife leather like deer or crocodile skin it would be seized by customs or wildlife officials if they find it.

Last edited:
Are you on a temple tour? Are you planning to visit Jain temples? Most big temples have bag deposit counters to safely store bags. Not all temples allow photography so please check temple rules. Bag being leather is a non issue in 99.99% of places in india. Just don’t use banned wildlife leather like deer or crocodile skin it would be seized by customs or wildlife officials if they find it.
Yes, I'm on a temple tour which is part of an itinerary mainly to the Indian safari parks which does include a visit to the Jain temples. The point about the camera bag is a valid one, thank you for that. I'll double-check with the tour operator about which temples allow photography.

Along with the strap, for such temple visits ... do consider other leather items which may not be obvious at first - belts, wallets, purses, watch straps, footwear etc.

Along with the strap, for such temple visits ... do consider other leather items which may not be obvious at first - belts, wallets, purses, watch straps, footwear etc.
Welcome to BCG!

Yes, the OP mentioned those items as examples in his post #1.

Yes, I'm on a temple tour which is part of an itinerary mainly to the Indian safari parks which does include a visit to the Jain temples. The point about the camera bag is a valid one, thank you for that. I'll double-check with the tour operator about which temples allow photography.
It sounds as though you're on the same holiday as I'm booked on in November! I'd be interested and very much appreciate your comments about the trip (particularly regarding camera bodies and lenses used) as well as your findings re leather products. I only picked up the leather restrictions when I went through the itinerary in detail. Something like this which, although understandable, is not common could well catch people out if it's not made clear to them. It was in the 'do's and don't's' towards the end of the trip information and could easily be missed.

Hi, in most Indian temples, shoes are not allowed. So be prepared to leave them at shoe counters or your operator will find a near by place such as a known shop keeper to store them. You walk barefoot inside temples. Some temples have dress codes etc. India is diverse, customs, rules etc change a lot from place to place. So can’t share specific guidance. Best is to check with temples that you may visit and with your tour operator.

India is truly a fascinating country.....colorful, lots of history, friendly people, diverse customs and religions. We visited a number of temples there and encountered no problems respecting their customs. Women should carry a light head scarf if covering their head is needed. Shoes can be checked before entering a temple if needed, etc. Be prepared....then relax and enjoy!

India

Back