Waterfall tribute to an old master

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Took these today at a local forest and thought I would process using dodge and burn techniques . It was also a useful opportunity to practice some long exposure using ba polarising filter rather than an ND.

D850 24-70
20210401-850_3283.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
20210401-850_3295.jpg
20210401-850_3318.jpg
20210401-850_3296.jpg

Last edited:
Took these today at a local forest and thought I would process using dodge and burn techniques . It was also a useful opportunity to practice some long exposure using ba polarising filter rather than an ND.

D850 24-70
View attachment 16696View attachment 16697View attachment 16698View attachment 16699
Hi John. Looking good in black and white. I almost always use a polarizer with wet rocks in sunlight to tame the reflections. I really like the SinghRay polarizing variable neutral density filter which combines polarization with as much darkening as one could want for slow shutter speeds when photographing moving water.

JIM

Hi Jim and Woody , I previously used a variable ND which was ok but I was clueless over the length of exposure. This was second attempt at long exposure which I did with a polariser and used aperture or iso dependant on what I was after to get to the desired shutter time. I think I tried 1/10, 1/6, 1/5 and 1/2. Previously I was 4 seconds which was a bit too creamy.

The colour versions aren’t that flattering as the water here is chocolate brown because of the soil and I also like trying out this B&W style that I am doing with local adjustments.Thanks forthe comments gents.

Hi Jim and Woody , I previously used a variable ND which was ok but I was clueless over the length of exposure. This was second attempt at long exposure which I did with a polariser and used aperture or iso dependant on what I was after to get to the desired shutter time. I think I tried 1/10, 1/6, 1/5 and 1/2. Previously I was 4 seconds which was a bit too creamy.

The colour versions aren’t that flattering as the water here is chocolate brown because of the soil and I also like trying out this B&W style that I am doing with local adjustments.Thanks forthe comments gents.
Hi John. The length of exposure is very much trial and error. A waterfall can require quite a different shutter speed than a stream. The polarizer and/or nd filter allow you to use base iso and the aperture you want while varying the shutter speed for the effect you want. The creaminess is personal choice and is different for everyone.

JIM

Back