Waterproof carrying

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Roaring 40s

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was setting up for a sub-antarctic island expedition before the pandemic hit. The gear carrying specs were demanding: carry-on, not much over the allowance, padded and proof against rain and spray from all directions.
It seemed to me that the carry system needed both a waterproof barrier and padding and I started out first sourcing the barrier and then looking to add the padding. To carry the lens with TC and body almost 60cm pack depth and 20cm width was needed. There was a strong preference for carrying the rig with sunhood fitted since with BIF you don't get time to fiddle.
Drybag packs were a clear choice and I was impressed by OverBoard gear and chose their 45l Classic:
Leaving the hood attached wasn't possible however with this pack.
The plan was to put a ply base in that and add padding to the camera in the form of lens and body covers from LensCoat.
I also got one of the OverBoard holster bags for my small rig:

After all this I scored some F-stop gear at irresistible prices. I was already using some of their ICUs with my bushwalking backpacks and it's hard to beat the customisability of the system.
I got the Master Tele and XL ICUs with the 70l Sukha pack. The Master Tele allows the sunhood to remain fitted but then it's only possible to access the rig via the pack lid, not the back. BTW the Master Tele may have been superseded by the Master Cine.
The zips on the Sukha are water resistant and what this actually means needs testing. Slip-on pack covers are available but decades of bushwalking in wet conditions have made me sceptical. The gear may need to go into lightweight drybags inside the pack.
Sukha review: https://photographylife.com/reviews/f-stop-sukha-backpack

Back