Weird file saving/card formatting problems

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hope this long-winded explanation makes sense.
On my D5 last weekend shooting a motorsports event, I had set-up the extended menu banks for different settings depending on my needs and programmed it to swap through them via the record button.

At the same time, I had a highly inconvenient thing happen where, even though i formatted my card at the beginning of said event: Photos were not being stored in chronological order. Each 1,000 photos, it creates a new sub folder, like 101, then 102 etc. And then randomly, new photos would end up in prior sub-folder, and some sub-folders would have only 30 pics before creating the next sub folder. Being time sensitive in between sessions to offload my pictures, this was super crappy because I couldn't find my newest and latest photos lol. They were basically hidden in random folders that made no sense. This was first time using the menu banks, and it can't be a happenstance.

I noticed often that, when I switched from custom shooting bank A to b and so on, the top LCD would read 'FULL' before clicking the shutter and only then it realized, oh that's right, we have 40 GB of storage left. The fact the top lcd would tell me it was full each time switching must have meant the weird storage problems were related to the menu banks.

So...anyone have this problem and how to avoid it when using the custom menu banks? The last day I decided to not use them anymore and no more problems, but using the menu banks was more convenient than using the mode button and not having things like auto iso on one setting, and another already at 1/30 and iso 50. But, dang, it really, REALLY messed with my files.

The folder numbering is part of the Photo Shooting Banks and could have caused the problem. If Bank A was using folder 110, filled 110 then created folder 111 and started writing images in folder 111, then you switched to Bank B and it was set to use 110, it would find 110 full and I would guess that it would see folder 111 and start writing to 111, but it might already see 111 and decide to create 112 and start writing images to 112. If you switch back to Bank A it would continue writing images into 111. If you created the Banks by copying one bank to the other then all 4 banks would have the same starting folder number but if you shot 1000 images in bank A and it created the next folder would bank B know the next folder had already been created and write to that folder or create it's own new folder? (and that is pretty much one long sentence and it may or may not make any sense)

I don't have a D5 but I just looked at my Z9 and Bank A was set to use folder 126 because that is my most used bank, but Bank B, C, and D were set to write into folders 102, 101, and 106. If I switched from bank to bank would I have images in four different folders?

Interesting. That seems like a serious flaw in the design of the custom shooting banks...
I was trying to make it easier for me to save and recall settings, but obviously that isn't going to work for me. I'll have to resort to a different route or do some further testing to see if i can remedy the behavior.

Back