Weird Spot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

K9Kirk

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just before sunset while waiting for some clouds to break for some good light on some baby owls, I turned in the direction of the sun to see how much longer a wait and I noticed this weird spot in the sky. It had the colors of a rainbow but there was no arch like you would normally see, just that rainbow like spot. I thought it was interesting, I'd never seen that before, thought I would share. I didn't have my wide-angle lens with me, just my tele-zoom for the owls. Thanks for looking.

045-studio by Kirk Behymer, on Flickr

Beautiful! I have never seen anything like this…. Is it a rainbow type?

Kirk -very nice! Love it! I have shot the same thing twice. Here is an article on it.
I have also shot a sundog but it appears as a totally different phenomenon.

Beautiful! I have never seen anything like this…. Is it a rainbow type?
Thanks! From what I've read, it basically has to do with the sunlight hitting ice crystals in the sky. Here's a good article that explains them well. If it is in fact a sundog.

Kirk -very nice! Love it! I have shot the same thing twice. Here is an article on it.
I have also shot a sundog but it appears as a totally different phenomenon.
Thanks, Callie. I'll have to read that article, also. Don't want to be calling it a sundog when it might be a sunkitty. ;)

Thanks, Callie. I'll have to read that article, also. Don't want to be calling it a sundog when it might be a sunkitty. ;)
Kirk, having read the above, and looking at my sundog image, it seems it is the rainbow colors more than circle round the sun which I understood was the sundog. But I have posted it today under Landscapes.

Kirk, having read the above, and looking at my sundog image, it seems it is the rainbow colors more than circle round the sun which I understood was the sundog. But I have posted it today under Landscapes.
I would think so myself. Sometimes all you see is one rainbow spot to one side of the sun and nothing else.

We can debate common names and say this is and thus isnt. Seems this might not be one, but not sure. Science tries to pin it down, another good article here.

Last edited:
Back