Well banded Plover ..

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Maybe somebody familiar with the banding process can tell me what all these bands are for ... the photo is mildly cute, but the bands are the unusual thing to me. I count five bands.

WellBandedPlover.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hi,

Bird ringing (banding) allows information to be collected on the lifespan, breeding and migration / movements of birds, helping to understand the birds habits, migration routes and breeding ranges etc.

Ringing data makes a major contribution to the study of bird populations help the understanding of species declines.

Here in the UK bird ringing goes back to 1909 and 3000 volunteers ring approximately 1million birds in the UK and Ireland every year.

Coloured rings help identify individuals in the field and can be reported to the relevant organisations so that movement, breeding, age and other parameters can be monitored.

Hope this helps.

Perhaps one of the most important reasons for banding is that it enables the determination of important, even vital, habit for breeding, migration rest/feeding stop-offs and wintering. As I recall, Thomas Jefferson (yes that Thomas Jefferson) was one of the first to band a bird(s) -- he used a very thin silver wire. No, I wasn't there -- I'm old but not that old.:D

Last edited:
A little punk plover, very much in vogue, 😻 but no idea where he got his jewelry and what it means. Normally, one has a number on that can be checked against a data base once retrieved.

Back