If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Huntsman.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hi Guys
it was occupied by Mr Huntsman
I said to him, just wait there till I get my camera
he did! if you talk to these quietly they are usually OK
Got the shot , put away the camera and the bathroom was vacant! Where did Mr Huntsman go, I didnt ask ! :)

Great image of a beautiful creature Gary.
I know a lot of people cringe at the sight of them. But I think they are fine, as long as they stay on their own patch šŸ˜‹........Scotty.

Last edited:
"Talk to them quietly."
So you are a Spider whisperer? šŸ¤£
Your great photo shows you do have a way with them.
No whisperer here :)
Just heard a large spider "wrangler" state that softy spoken in a calm voice is the way to go
Loud aggressive voice may induce a bite! :oops:
How true that is I'll never know, I just err on the side of caution

I heard a spider expert on the radio talking about the huntsman. She said talking calmly will soothe them but screaming will get them to increase their colour and their hairs stand up. They will then look for a fight. I always speak to wild animals calmly. Just in case!

I heard a spider expert on the radio talking about the huntsman. She said talking calmly will soothe them but screaming will get them to increase their colour and their hairs stand up. They will then look for a fight. I always speak to wild animals calmly. Just in case!
Tks for the heads-up, I'm never striking up a conversation with a redback though :)

I can tell you from first hand experience, so long as you remain calm, :) you can let them walk on your body without a problem. If you do something stupid to enrage them, they may well give a nasty bite and you may well suffer headaches, nausea, pain and swelling, but in general, you wouldn't require hospitalisation. Now, if you come across that other Aussie spider referred to in the abovementioned video, keep well away from it. Very nasty little buggers.

I can tell you from first hand experience, so long as you remain calm, :) you can let them walk on your body without a problem. If you do something stupid to enrage them, they may well give a nasty bite and you may well suffer headaches, nausea, pain and swelling, but in general, you wouldn't require hospitalisation. Now, if you come across that other Aussie spider referred to in the abovementioned video, keep well away from it. Very nasty little buggers.
You are right, for the most part, the biggest problem can be serious infection, I have been bitten by 3 spiders in my time,
-Redback on the hand, I was in excruciating pain, had a red line climbing up the vein in my arm, Grandmother gabbed my hand, sliced it open with a razor blade, hot water then some kind of disinfectant........thats how they did it back then......it worked! :)

-White Tail Spider, painful, got dizzy but no other side effects

-A big red spider, bit me on the toe (40 years ago, sometimes I get pain shoot up that toe but goes away after a while)

Many years ago, I had an all expenses paid job in South Vietnam, one of the guys had a big interest in bird spiders, used to dig them up and walk around showing off with them on his arms/head etc

One day one them got sick of being wrangled, so slammed the fangs into his arm, looked like someone stabbed his arm with 2 pencils
With a stream of blood pouring out of both wounds, he said, " no worries, they are not venomous! " but was going to the doctor to get it cleaned up,
Went to the doctor, straight away, said, " I'm an expert on spiders, I know they are not venomous, just clean it up for me! "
Doctor said " you are right, they are not venomous, but in this location..........they carry Rabies! "
This guy was very quiet for the rest of the tour, and never played with spiders again
His biggest problem then was the very long and painful treatment for Rabies :)

Sorry for the long story, thought it may be both educational and amusing

Don't worry about the long story. When you don't have a picture, a thousand words is ok. Bet you now wished you had a camera when grandma was slicing you up! :)
Ouch.... thank goodness we don't have rabies in Oz.

And thank you..... This posting and your thumbs up took me to 30 postings and 20 reactions and elevated me from new member to member. :cool: :cool: :cool: