If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was walking through a recently mowed field when I came upon a fairly large snapping turtle. Who can resist photographing such a glamorous model? Through the viewfinder I could see a red spot on its snout but couldn't figure out what it was. After downloading the day's photos and cropping this one it became obvious that the red spot was actually the engorged abdomen of a mosquito, engorged with the blood of the snapping turtle. It made me fell a bit better to see that I wasn't the only one feeding mosquitos that day.

Snapping Turtle - with mosquito.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I was walking through a recently mowed field when I came upon a fairly large snapping turtle. Who can resist photographing such a glamorous model? Through the viewfinder I could see a red spot on its snout but couldn't figure out what it was. After downloading the day's photos and cropping this one it became obvious that the red spot was actually the engorged abdomen of a mosquito, engorged with the blood of the snapping turtle. It made me fell a bit better to see that I wasn't the only one feeding mosquitos that day.

View attachment 68539
Great capture. Nice shot, Woody!