If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DSC_0260s-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Great head on shot of them rushing! Are they two males?
Thank you! Super lucky to get this one (it was right in front of the bank where all the photographers are) and I happened to move to the far right side right before these guys rushed. Everyone else was too close to them for a good shot. A quick google says the males have longer/thicker beaks, so maybe the left one is male? But the size difference is odd.

This is a great image. I was out photographing these birds earlier this week myself and didn't manage to get as close as you did. Well done. KKR
Thank you! Were you at Calero too? They normally rush at least a couple times near the shore. Hoping to get one with color in the water next time (this time the wind pushed them all onto the wrong side)

Yes. I was at Calero from 8:00am until about 10:45. I got a few nice shots but they were far out into the lake.
I was just lucky I guess. I got there at 7:30 but no good shots until 9:45. BTW, the Rancho Vicente entrance Parking lot has a mated pair of kestrels that hunt bugs in the gravel of the lot. I got some nice shots from the car, but the moment I got out they flew away.