If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SonoranDesert

Supporting Member
Marketplace
It was a cloudy and cold-ish day. I came across a pod of Western Meadowlarks (WEME). Of course, I heard their distinct gurgly calls before I actually saw them. BTW, I'm loving the cloudy, rainy pre-Spring weather and looking forward to a fabulous wildflower bloom! (p.s. I believe this is a WEME, but if other more experienced birders think it could be a Chihuahuan please let me know)
WESTERN MEADOWLARK2.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It was a cloudy and cold-ish day. I came across a pod of Western Meadowlarks (WEME). Of course, I heard their distinct gurgly calls before I actually saw them. BTW, I'm loving the cloudy, rainy pre-Spring weather and looking forward to a fabulous wildflower bloom! (p.s. I believe this is a WEME, but if other more experienced birders think it could be a Chihuahuan please let me know)View attachment 85222
Nice capture Lisa.
Meadowlarks have a lovely call.
Happy trails.

It was a cloudy and cold-ish day. I came across a pod of Western Meadowlarks (WEME). Of course, I heard their distinct gurgly calls before I actually saw them. BTW, I'm loving the cloudy, rainy pre-Spring weather and looking forward to a fabulous wildflower bloom! (p.s. I believe this is a WEME, but if other more experienced birders think it could be a Chihuahuan please let me know)View attachment 85222
The yellow on the side of the throat (called the malar) indicates Western. Both Eastern and Chihuahuan Meadowlarks have white malars. Since Easterns and Chihuahuans overlap only in W. Texas, you can be fairly certain that a Meadowlark with white malar seen in AZ is a Chihuahuan.

Very nice photo! Especially like the exposure and composition.

- Chuck

The yellow on the side of the throat (called the malar) indicates Western. Both Eastern and Chihuahuan Meadowlarks have white malars. Since Easterns and Chihuahuans overlap only in W. Texas, you can be fairly certain that a Meadowlark with white malar seen in AZ is a Chihuahuan.

Very nice photo! Especially like the exposure and composition.

- Chuck
Score! Thanks for the detailed ID information, Chuck. I appreciate it. And an additional thank you on the photo compliment.

Real pretty image of a bird that eludes me! 😢
It's a grassland species. If you lack agricultural fields near the coast, you might try smaller airports used by corporate and private aircraft. During breeding season, males sometimes perch up on fences in early morning, where they can be more easily heard and seen. When feeding, they disappear down into the grass.

Love the profile shot making for that trace of yellow! Beautiful shot.
Thanks Steven. Traipsing off trail was well worth the shot. Had it been a typical Tucson day with bright and blue sky the photo would have taken a totally different turn. That’s why cloudy days are “special”…the light is …..different.