Western Screech Owl

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is the image of a Western Screech Owl taken after Sunset with a remote Camera Setup.
Nikon Z6ii, ISO 9000 with 300 PF lens.
Full frame image not cropped.

Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• WesternScreech Owl.jpg
    WesternScreech Owl.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
Very nice photo!
How did you set it up?

Nice matching colours, textures, light, subject and composition. Perhaps centre the subject (it's slightly off-centre) by cropping slightly. Maybe a square crop keeping the current vertical height would work well with the shape of the owl and the circular elements of the branch.

To my eyes, the out of focus elements in front of the tree are a little distracting and they cover the owl slightly.

This was shot by placing a camera on a light stand to get it high up and using camranger to control the camera remotely.
Care needs to be taken to ensure that light stand supports the weight and also it does not flip over.

Excellent. I like seeing the environment the bird is living in.

I use my CamRanger a LOT! FYI, I also have the remote motorized tripod head and it works very well as a system with the CamRanger. This spring I set up in a field in front of a Fox den and then sat in the car and got some super shots. I was able to move the camera to the different spots by the den where the pups were sitting or sleeping.

I pretty new to wildlife photography, so take this as you will. But one of the first things that caught my eye with the photo was a bit of a red sheen.

Was able to come up with the attached version by simply selecting the "red color button" in Lightroom and moving the hue a bit. I first tried the red saturation slider but felt it made it a little less vibrant.

I personally feel the result is a little more brown / woodsy.

Attachments

• WesternScreech Owl.jpg
    WesternScreech Owl.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
I like the composition as presented. It gives a hint of the environment, but nothing steals the eye away from the subject. I also like that the owl is a bit off center.

When I first looked at the image, I felt it was a bit over exposed. Try lowering the exposure just a bit. I played with the exposure and settled on about -.6 stop. You can always bring back a teeny bit of light just on the owl if you like.

Back