What’s the Best Way to Advertise for Sale a Nikon AF-S 600 f/4 E

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PAUL50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’ve decided to sell my Nikkor 600mm f/4 E lens and the offer received from a local camera store with whom I used to do business can only be considered embarrassing for them, despite the fact it’s only about a year old and in excellent condition. So, I’ve decided to by pass camera stores and sell it directly to a reasonable purchaser. However, never having done so, and wanting to avoid Craig’s List, I’m wondering how to go about it. The thoughts of the group will be appreciated.

The thoughts of the group will be appreciated.
The safest and easiest way is a reseller like: MPB, KEH, Adorama, B&H, etc. they'll give you 60% to 70% of what they think the resale price is or thereabouts but they eliminate the risk and take care of things like shipping costs.

Private sales will net you the most cash but you also accept bigger hassles, typically longer timelines to sell and take on more risk of various scams. Good places for private sales include: Fred Miranda forums, Nikonians and places like ebay.

If you do decide to sell privately then be careful.

All that said, I typically sell privately though it can be a hassle and can take a while.

The safest and easiest way is a reseller like: MPB, KEH, Adorama, B&H, etc. they'll give you 60% to 70% of what they think the resale price is or thereabouts but they eliminate the risk and take care of things like shipping costs.

Private sales will net you the most cash but you also accept bigger hassles, typically longer timelines to sell and take on more risk of various scams. Good places for private sales include: Fred Miranda forums, Nikonians and places like ebay.

If you do decide to sell privately then be careful.

All that said, I typically sell privately though it can be a hassle and can take a while.
Thanks DR. I tried using a local reseller and was made a ridiculous offer. I’ll look into Fred Miranda and Nikonians. Appreciate the advice.

You may get what you consider a rediculous offer from them, too. Someone that's going to resell the lens needs to make a profit.
It’s not my intent to deny a reseller a “fair and reasonable“ profit, but I’m not giving someone a windfall at my expense either.

When the 800PF came out used prices for the 600E dropped significantly. I suspect that they'll drop again now the 600 Z is out. Not sure what you're expecting but there have been several sold recently on FM for around $7k.

When the 800PF came out used prices for the 600E dropped significantly. I suspect that they'll drop again now the 600 Z is out. Not sure what you're expecting but there have been several sold recently on FM for around $7k.
Adorama has one advertised for just under $10k, which I thought was really too high. $7k to $8k in a private sale definitely seems in the ballpark, but the clown in town was offering $4900 cash or $5200 trade, which is ridiculous, and it’s the same local store I bought it from new just a year ago. I’ll put it up on Fred Miranda or Nikonians at the $7k to 8k level and see what happens. But I’m done with the local guy. I’ll be canceling my order with him for the Z600 which I had previously placed.

I’ve decided to sell my Nikkor 600mm f/4 E lens and the offer received from a local camera store with whom I used to do business can only be considered embarrassing for them, despite the fact it’s only about a year old and in excellent condition. So, I’ve decided to by pass camera stores and sell it directly to a reasonable purchaser. However, never having done so, and wanting to avoid Craig’s List, I’m wondering how to go about it. The thoughts of the group will be appreciated.
You might try talking with someone from B&H about trading it in on a Z600 order from them. If the lens is in excellent condition, they may offer you $6500-7000 to get the Z600 order. That would take the hassle (and risk) of selling the 600E yourself out of the transaction, and get your new lens from a reputable dealer. I’ve always had great luck with B&H, and their service is outstanding, plus if you’re in a high tax state, you can use their Payboo card and avoid paying state sales tax. For a New Yorker like me, that would save me $1350 on a $15.5k lens.

Good luck!

You might try talking with someone from B&H about trading it in on a Z600 order from them. If the lens is in excellent condition, they may offer you $6500-7000 to get the Z600 order. That would take the hassle (and risk) of selling the 600E yourself out of the transaction, and get your new lens from a reputable dealer. I’ve always had great luck with B&H, and their service is outstanding, plus if you’re in a high tax state, you can use their Payboo card and avoid paying state sales tax. For a New Yorker like me, that would save me $1350 on a $15.5k lens.

Good luck!
Thanks. I’ll give them a call today and see what they say.

Paul,

I'm not an active FB user, but If you have a Facebook account, you may also want to consider their Marketplace. Earlier this year I sold off my D850, D500, 200-500 and some other lenses there fairly quickly and for pretty much asking price. I buy and sell quite a few items of different types and I find far less scammers and time wasters there as compared to Craigslist, though I'll typically list both places. I generally insist on a phone conversation before meeting anyone (really helps me get a read on people) and typically meet at a police precinct, bank or other mutually agreeable location to do the transaction.

As others have mentioned and you well know, selling directly can put a lot of money in your pocket, especially if you're not in a rush, but you have to be willing to put up with a modicum of inconvenience and dealing with "people". I've probably put close to $2K in my own pocket with the items I've sold vs giving that to a reseller because I was willing to do the work and assume a very small amount of risk.

YMMV!

Paul,

I'm not an active FB user, but If you have a Facebook account, you may also want to consider their Marketplace. Earlier this year I sold off my D850, D500, 200-500 and some other lenses there fairly quickly and for pretty much asking price. I buy and sell quite a few items of different types and I find far less scammers and time wasters there as compared to Craigslist, though I'll typically list both places. I generally insist on a phone conversation before meeting anyone (really helps me get a read on people) and typically meet at a police precinct, bank or other mutually agreeable location to do the transaction.

As others have mentioned and you well know, selling directly can put a lot of money in your pocket, especially if you're not in a rush, but you have to be willing to put up with a modicum of inconvenience and dealing with "people". I've probably put close to $2K in my own pocket with the items I've sold vs giving that to a reseller because I was willing to do the work and assume a very small amount of risk.

YMMV!
This is great, I’m getting really good feedback, which I sincerely appreciate. Thank you.

Last time I was on, ugly hedgehog had an active buy/sell listing page.

I've personally used KEH but as mentioned you will get wholesale value since they want a profit when they resell, but it is easy and safe.

Try to be objective, the final price won't reflect the loving care you've put into the lens nor your emotional attachment to it. It's all about the heartless free market.

Last time I was on, ugly hedgehog had an active buy/sell listing page.

I've personally used KEH but as mentioned you will get wholesale value since they want a profit when they resell, but it is easy and safe.

Try to be objective, the final price won't reflect the loving care you've put into the lens nor your emotional attachment to it. It's all about the heartless free market.
LOL! Thanks for the suggestion. Agreed, staying objective is tough.

Good luck!
I asked B&H this very question, and they said $6000, maybe $6100 for the 600mm E, and whether it was a trade didn't matter.

The Chat at "AP Studios" seems fixated with the 600mm f4 lens and would probably bid for it...🦘

Back