What’s your least used “great” lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’m probably a bit luckier than most in that, when I started this hobby a few years ago, I gave myself an unlimited budget ….. and still managed to exceed it. When I look at my inventory today, I have five bodies - six if you count my wife’s Q2, which we often share on trips - 12 lenses (Nikon glass and Oly glass) plus various TCs, filters, tripods, monopods and other assorted gear.

My GAS has died down over the past couple of years, simply because there’s not much more I could buy - aside from a miscellaneous 400mm 2.8 or 600mm f4 - that can augment my modest skills.

That said, since I haven’t sold or traded anything, I occasionally look at my gear and what I use most - and least.

The piece that stands out to me is my Z mount 24-70mm 2.8. It’s simply a fantastic lens, great sharpness across all apertures and its entire range, great also in low light and fantastic bokeh. What’s not to like. It’s was the original middle lens of my Z trinity, it plus my 20mm 1.8 and 70-200mm 2.8.

However, about a year ago, I picked up the very versatile 24-120mm f4, as a general walking around and travel lens. What’s happened is it gets stuck to one of my cameras and the 24-70 either stays in the bag or stays home.

Occasionally, I stick it on and use it and it reminds me just how great it is. But the convenience, versatility and weight of the 24-120 just makes it too easy to stash it away.

Anyone else sitting on a great lens they rarely use?

PS. For cameras, my least used these days is my D850. Two reasons, most of my glass is Z mount and, well, as great as the D850 is, my relatively new “Z850“ eats its lunch.

Last edited:
I no longer have it but owned a Nikon 300mm 2.8 VR2 for several years. Optically the best lens I've ever had but sadly the least used. I guess currently my least used is the 300mm PF. It's so small/light it always seems like a good idea to throw it in the bag. But it almost never makes it on the camera. Interested buyers can pm me :rolleyes:

My least used lens is the Z 50mm f/2.8 macro. But, I am being a bit disingenuous here. I bought this lens for the express purpose of digitizing old slides and negatives with the ES-2 kit. However, I have been too busy on new projects and haven't gotten around to the old stuff yet. It will happen -- some day.

My Voigtlander 58mm Nokton. An absolutely fantastic lens with beautiful rendering. Its especially incredible when doing B&W work. I rarely take it out for some reason. When I do, I always tell myself to use it more. Its not because its a manual focus lens either. I have three manual focus lenses and using them with the Zf is wonderful. I think the 58mm focal length just doesn't quite work for me.

70-200 2.8 Z lens. Have it, love it, will never part with it - but seldom use it. Tomorrow I will! Excited.
I've owned 70-200's since the early 1980's - once it came out as 80-200.
Agree with you on the Z 24-120, very versatile lens.

Leica 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R. It was my most-used lens for many years when viewfinders were designed for accurate manual focus. Optically it's still a fantastic lens but the usability of modern lenses means it's now my least used.

I actually have a few that occasionally get some use. But the “Z” platform has flipped the table on “F” mount glass for the most part… except these three:
1. 200mm f/4D ED AF Micro. This lens is ridiculously sharp and useful…. and heavy!
IMG_2548.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2. Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 NOCT. Sees very limited use but comes in handy.. The Z version requires a mortgage @8K…. which alerts divorce lawyer.😳
IMG_0604.jpeg

3. F mount 28mm f/1.4D AF. This lens is amazing and sees limited use on the D850 and Z cameras. Built like a tank… in Japan.
IMG_1349.jpeg

I no longer have it but owned a Nikon 300mm 2.8 VR2 for several years. Optically the best lens I've ever had but sadly the least used. I guess currently my least used is the 300mm PF. It's so small/light it always seems like a good idea to throw it in the bag. But it almost never makes it on the camera. Interested buyers can pm me :rolleyes:
Likewise a 300 f2.8 VR2 that I've not yet parted with...and may never. When you need it, you need it...there is no substitute...and it's incredibly sharp on 45MP sensors.

I'd have to think long and hard about switching if Nikon drops a smaller, lighter, equally sharp, Z 300 f2.8 on us ala Sony and their new one.

I’m probably a bit luckier than most in that, when I started this hobby a few years ago, I gave myself an unlimited budget ….. and still managed to exceed it. When I look at my inventory today, I have five bodies - six if you count my wife’s Q2, which we often share on trips - 12 lenses (Nikon glass and Oly glass) plus various TCs, filters, tripods, monopods and other assorted gear.

My GAS has died down over the past couple of years, simply because there’s not much more I could buy - aside from a miscellaneous 400mm 2.8 or 600mm f4 - that can augment my modest skills.

That said, since I haven’t sold or traded anything, I occasionally look at my gear and what I use most - and least.

The piece that stands out to me is my Z mount 24-70mm 2.8. It’s simply a fantastic lens, great sharpness across all apertures and its entire range, great also in low light and fantastic bokeh. What’s not to like. It’s was the original middle lens of my Z trinity, it plus my 20mm 1.8 and 70-200mm 2.8.

However, about a year ago, I picked up the very versatile 24-120mm f4, as a general walking around and travel lens. What’s happened is it gets stuck to one of my cameras and the 24-70 either stays in the bag or stays home.

Occasionally, I stick it on and use it and it reminds me just how great it is. But the convenience, versatility and weight of the 24-120 just makes it too easy to stash it away.

Anyone else sitting on a great lens they rarely use?

PS. For cameras, my least used these days is my D850. Two reasons, most of my glass is Z mount and, well, as great as the D850 is, my relatively new “Z850“ eats its lunch.
I am accepting donations of everyone's least used lenses, and promise to keep them well fed and exercised. Let's call it the Delivery Service Lens Rehab (DSLR). 🥴

My 105 f2.8 macro is in the rehab program now.

Gotta be my f mount 300 pf -- incredibly sharp lens that I simply have forgotten in there -- and a very close second now is my 500 pf. Truly great lenses that I just don't use any more.

The 300 f2.8 VR2 was, at least until the Z 400 f2.8 TC, THE best lens I've used. It was stellar on the D3s and D4s, used to capture MotoGP and World Superbike images. I have an image of Casey Stoner at Phillip Island that still sells, taken with that lens. I miss it :cry:

My Af-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105 f/2.8 IF-Ed\D lens. Bought it during the pandemic for another genre of photography to try, since I could not travel. With a return to travel and a Z8, sadly it sits in a draw.

The 50mm 1.4 that I bought when the first grandchild was born. Thought it would be great for indoors without flash. Quickly found out that the versatility of the 24-120 f4 outshined the nifty 50 by a mile. Probably haven't taken even 100 pictures with that 50. Anybody wanna buy it?

The 500pf. I bought a refurbished copy from Nikon when my daughter began competing in horse shows but quickly discovered it was too long and used the F mount 70-200 2.8 VRii which was replaced by the Z version (also refurbished copy from Nikon). All great lenses. I kept the F mount 70-200 for my D850 but find I'm not using it at all anymore. The 500pf has not been used in quite a long time.

Cool thread. For me, the 105mm DC f/2. It's a lovely portrait lens, but is relegated to my occasional film photo excursions with my original 1981 Nikon FE. It deserves more use, but whenever I'm tempted to pop it onto the D850 or a Z camera, the 105mm f/1.4E or 135 Plena wins out.

The 105 DC deserves more love! I need to keep at least one lens that works with the FE and this one is it... but right now, it's mainly sitting on the shelf.

14-24 f/2.8

Every year I keep telling myself that I'll make an effort to photograph the occasional landscape. And every passing year, the exact same thing happens. I go out, get distracted by a bird/animal and shift all my attention there.

Back