What advice would you give beginners about the most common mistakes to avoid

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

bleirer

Bill, Cleveland OH.
Supporting Member
Marketplace
This video seemed to have several worthwhile tips. I'm wondering what folks here would advise as their top mistakes to avoid. Has Steve made a similar video?

Don't get caught up in thinking you constantly need to buy better gear. Learn to master the equipment you have. However, when you do decide to upgrade, buy quality. Often times we buy what we perceive as "great deals" only to replace it a short time later. Tripods are a great example of this.

That's a good one. I liked his advice in the video to upgrade the lens before the body.

Lots of mistakes to avoid but realistically you have to experience them to learn why they are mistakes. You can’t always shortcut the learning curve.

So the top mistake I’d say is giving up too quickly. Second one is related: not trying things and seeing what happens because you never know when serendipity strikes. Last one on my list is believing you have to do photography the same way as someone else.

Lots of mistakes to avoid but realistically you have to experience them to learn why they are mistakes. You can’t always shortcut the learning curve.

So the top mistake I’d say is giving up too quickly. Second one is related: not trying things and seeing what happens because you never know when serendipity strikes. Last one on my list is believing you have to do photography the same way as someone else.

All good ideas, hadn't thought of that last one but yeah.

Yep. Learning is best done by making some of the mistakes, and figuring out why, instead of relying on people telling you just to not do (x). It creates a longer lasting lesson.

1) It's a numbers game.
Go out shooting as often as possible. The more you go out shooting, the better are the chances you will find something interesting to shoot.
P.S: if the sun is up when you are out shooting you've already lost the day.

2) Knowledge beats gear every single time. If you have 2000$, get 1000$ worth of gear and the rest spend it on workshops and trips and making friends with other WL photographers.

3) Lower... Closer... Lower... Closer....

Don't get caught up in thinking you constantly need to buy better gear. Learn to master the equipment you have. However, when you do decide to upgrade, buy quality. Often times we buy what we perceive as "great deals" only to replace it a short time later. Tripods are a great example of this.
I agree Fred! Though I'd add, always buy at least 1 step up from "just good enough for now" Buy for the long-term, not the short/ immediate need.

Back