What are the best monitors for photo processing and what do you need to do to set it up correctly?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am interested in peoples’ recommendations for the best computter monitors for photo processing.

Secondary question is what calibrations and tweaks do you use to set the screen up?

By way of background, I recently switched from PC to MAC for photo editing. I am currently using a 27 inch Apple Studio 5k monitor as my main monitor with an older Dell 4k dual monitor to handle thumbnails.

I calibrated the monitors using Datacolor Spyder device but made no other changes. I tried to set the 5k monitor to maximum resolution but found it made the menus too small so I bumped it back.

You will most likely get a lot of answers to this question. I was partial to NEC MyltiSync monitors until they merged with Sharp and discontinued this line. Eizo monitors are well regarded and priced accordingly, but I have heard a couple of complaints about QC and warranty repairs. BenQ is an affordable line that has many followers, but also had some issues in the past. All three of these lines had models that could display 100%+ of Adobe RGB color space.

Your Apple monitor is well regarded, and I believe can display 100%+ of the P3 color space. I find it easier to work in Adobe RGB when labs support it for printing, but P3 is starting to get more popular beyond just video.

I have a DataSpyder puck that works with NEC Spectraview software, but Datacolor software is also good. And I believe that Eizo has its own software for their monitors.

I would set a budget and the largest color space you want to be able to see and try to find a short list from there. Accuracy and backlighting are often overlooked, but are important for a good editing environment.

Good luck,

--Ken

I am interested in peoples’ recommendations for the best computter monitors for photo processing.

Secondary question is what calibrations and tweaks do you use to set the screen up?

By way of background, I recently switched from PC to MAC for photo editing. I am currently using a 27 inch Apple Studio 5k monitor as my main monitor with an older Dell 4k dual monitor to handle thumbnails.

I calibrated the monitors using Datacolor Spyder device but made no other changes. I tried to set the 5k monitor to maximum resolution but found it made the menus too small so I bumped it back.

Best are the SmallHD, Ikegami, Canon and Sony 4k reference monitors.

Wotan, in my personal experience, Eizo is still the standard & most reliable monitor when it comes to photo & video processing; the Dell Premier color has caught up too; for the Mac system, the Studio monitors are good if you can live with it.

Oliver

Like anything else, what are your goals? Are you wanting to ensure consistency between your camera, display, and printer? With third parties? How will you use the color consistency in other words? Retouching for pay or for people? Social media? Your own use?

I used to try to be ensure consistency between devices and things but gave up when I realized that I’m not printing much, I don’t retouch for clients, and most images are social media where you have no control over the viewing screen. My needs then became simpler and easier. Especially when I realized the differences were typically very subtle after calibrating my displays. I tended to buy better quality monitors which were fairly close anyway.

Like anything else, what are your goals? Are you wanting to ensure consistency between your camera, display, and printer? With third parties? How will you use the color consistency in other words? Retouching for pay or for people? Social media? Your own use?

I used to try to be ensure consistency between devices and things but gave up when I realized that I’m not printing much, I don’t retouch for clients, and most images are social media where you have no control over the viewing screen. My needs then became simpler and easier. Especially when I realized the differences were typically very subtle after calibrating my displays. I tended to buy better quality monitors which were fairly close anyway.
I do printing at home using an Epson P900. My goal is to use the monitor to fine tune images, examine detail closely and have my screen images match the printer output. I want to continue and expand my printing and share my best work with others. If I can make some extra money to offset some of the cost that would be nice.

I also really need to improve my skills in post processing. I can handle the basics but I really want to improve in particular my ability to work with color balance for effects I want to achieve.

I want to continue to grow as a photographer.

I am happy with the BenQ 321c and now they have a 27" photographers focused one.

You'll have to compare the specs yourself. I don't print at home but they claim it's set up to make that easy.
Ok I have a question.

I am looking at the 27 inch photographers focused 4k monitor. I already have a Datacolor Spyder calibration device.

Do these monitors have hardware calibration and if not does the Datacolor Spyder work fine on those or do I need something else?

Ok I have a question.

I am looking at the 27 inch photographers focused 4k monitor. I already have a Datacolor Spyder calibration device.

Do these monitors have hardware calibration and if not does the Datacolor Spyder work fine on those or do I need something else?
That is what I have used with their built in tool. Again I am not printing though and am not as diligent - for a reason - other than I don't need it calibrated to print. I have a skylight just about over my desk. If I put the hoods on I am 412% sure my two Hooligan cats will break them within 72 hours. So I just adapt. I do like using the puck to adjust brightness.

That is what I have used with their built in tool. Again I am not printing though and am not as diligent - for a reason - other than I don't need it calibrated to print. I have a skylight just about over my desk. If I put the hoods on I am 412% sure my two Hooligan cats will break them within 72 hours. So I just adapt. I do like using the puck to adjust brightness.
I suspect you are really 413% sure, but were just being modest for the sake of the cats.:sneaky:

To answer the OP's question about hardware calibration, some of the monitors have hardware level calibration, like the NEC's I mentioned above, but others do not. And some have proprietary software that is compatible with certain pucks, like the Spyder, and others use competing brands. So, you can generally use the Datacolor software on most machines, and those that have their own software available will usually say what puck works with them.

--Ken

I do printing at home using an Epson P900. My goal is to use the monitor to fine tune images, examine detail closely and have my screen images match the printer output. I want to continue and expand my printing and share my best work with others. If I can make some extra money to offset some of the cost that would be nice.

I also really need to improve my skills in post processing. I can handle the basics but I really want to improve in particular my ability to work with color balance for effects I want to achieve.

I want to continue to grow as a photographer.
I would think calibrating your monitor and your printer and getting icc profiles would get you most of the way there if not all the way there. Sure there may be a little you don’t see but I suspect it won’t show up in any noticeable way. Of course I’m tuned to the “good enough” rather than “perfection” level.

I use a 27” iMac 5k which I really like. I understand that it’s the same screen as in the standalone 27” apple display, but I don’t know. My screen has an LG internal reference number.

I like having the 5k screen.

In the past I worked with my older screens and noticed some color differences between the printer and screen even after calibrating and doing icc profiles.

I wonder if the standalone Apple display is adequate or will I benefit from either the Benq or the Eizo.

I suspect you are really 413% sure, but were just being modest for the sake of the cats.:sneaky:

--Ken
Yes one is very good at calibrating the espresso machine. He never knocks the silver coffee cups at his feet off the ledge. I don't have a similar level of confidence with the BenQ monitor hoods, although they do seem well made.

1718394413054.png

Ok I have a question.

Thank you for the question, it brought me to a video with description of a new Benq calibration SW. In short:
  • Spyder supported
  • It has hardware calibration
  • There is a 27 inch version of the same monitor lines (SW272U)
Link to Benq video on calibration:

Last edited:
I’ve used a BenQ for a long time. I’m a fan. I calibrate with an old, cheap ColorMunki, and I get accurate colors from third party printers.

I don’t have experience with Eizo, but my suspicion is that there is a vast amount of diminishing returns considering the price difference between a BenQ and an Eizo. There are lots of BenQ reviews on YouTube where the reviewer is very impressed with the BenQ. Given that I’m an amateur, I wouldn’t pay the premium for an Eizo.

I love my Apple Studio Display and set it up using the calibration routines included with macOS…and while I'll admit it's not as good as using one of the hardware calibration tools it's plenty good enough for my purposes of images outputted for the blog. The biggest change it makes is that the brightness is way less than one is normally used to. I'm thinking about getting one of those Epson Ecotank 6 ink printers that does up to 13x19…and if I do then I'll print a few samples before deciding whether to spend the money on calibration hardware.

You'll have to ask yourself what the purpose in calibration is…and then how much you want to spend…and how important it is that the print look *exactly* like it does on screen as opposed to *pretty close to what it looks like on screen* before deciding how much money and effort to expend on the calibration.

Back