What do you think of this shot.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MorganP

I would like to hear your thoughts on this shot. Good bad or how could it be made better or .............. Thanks for taking you time to leave your thoughts.

1660777952331.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thank you all for taking you valuable time to help me grow as a photographer.

The original photo was made from a JPG. I didn't have the data to pull the shadows. The photo below is made from the same photo only it was a .psd so their my be slight changes to the settings. I did take your advice and lighten up the tree are for a better result.

Thank you all.

8-19-22 fantastic Rainier Fall photos.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I like the shot a lot and love the composition. I think you might have gone a bit too far on the shadow pull in the water towards the left of the image. The water reflections and trees are substantially brighter in the reflection area than the scene and sky above it. Reflections are typically close to or a bit darker than the sky portions of the image above it (that's why folks historically used ND grads on images like these) so the brighter reflection areas are a bit unusual. Similar thoughts to the somewhat bright foreground foliage.

Still great shot, nice sky and overall a very pleasing image.

I like it, although I do believe that it needs a stronger foreground and a bit to cropping from the right hand side.

For the foreground, it needs to extend across the entire shot. For the cropping, I'd get rid of the two trees that stick out from all of the others on the right side. One of them is above the lake and the other is in the foreground.

These are nit-picks, though. I believe that is is a beautiful photo as you posted it. With the suggestions offered by others, it may end up as a competetion shot.

As a suggestion, the next time you are able to, try taking the shot at the other end of this lens' focal length, or in the middle. IMO, this scene has a lot of different photographs for the taking.

I'm wondering if you removed some of the trees from the skyline, but not from the matching reflection?

Back