What do you use for backup in 2024 (Windows 11)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

mjais

Supporting Member
Hi,
this weekend I get my new, much more powerful PC.
The current one has a week GPU (no vram) and is quite slow with Lightroom and the Z8 files.
Denoise or going through many files is painful, so much no relies on AI and AI works much better on GPUs because they can do some math a lot faster.

Currently I use a dual-boot system (Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux). I am a software developer and live mostly in Linux but use Windows for the Adobe stuff.
For backup to external disks, I boot Linux and use rsync via a small bash script I've written. That has worked perfectly fine for years.

The new machine only use Windows 11, no dual boot. (I keep the Linux machine for programming and other non-photo-related stuff)

For backup I will use 2 new WD 5TB external hdd disks which remain in my office. I will user another for a regular backup and give it to a friend who lives close-by.
I will also create at least one cloud backup (Google Drive) and may add a 2nd one (maybe Dropbox or Adobe).
25 years in software development have taught me that bad things will happen, so I am leaning towards the paranoid with that many copies but better to be safe.

For Google Drive sync I will probably just use the Google Drive Windows Client.

But what to use for my two WD external hard drives?

I can install WSL (Windows systems for Linux, which comes with Windows 11), and install rsync there, mount the Windows drives (the letters like D:, E:, etc) and then just use rsync.
That should work and I can write a small script to automate this).

But I wanted to ask what people use in 2024 on Windows 11 for backup to external disks.
There are solutions that promise everything incl. syncing to clouds, all always, fast, reliable, etc.
I guess often this sounds great but is buggy, at least in some cases. Writing a good backup software is not easy.

I would like a tool that does not automatically run backups, I want to run them manually, e.g. after importing new RAW files or after deleting a lot of images.
Manually running it gives me more control and avoids (or reduces the risk of) the pitfall that an automated backup may sync corrupt files like a broken LR catalog or, in the worst case,
files manipulated by some malware. If an automated backup automatically ruins everything, then, potentially, not even a huge amount of swearing will bring back my files :)

Some use freefilesync, that looks interesting and it seems to be either free or 20 euros or dollars.

I will definitely try the WSL + rsync approach but I would use something else if there are better solutions.

Later, maybe I will use a NAS as well but this is not planned immediately.

Markus

Back