What genres do you photograph?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What genres of photography do you most photograph? Maximum of 4 choices

• Wildlife

• Landscape

• Portraits/People

• Architecture/city scapes

• Family

• Macro

• Underwater

• Nightime/Nightskies

• Street scenes

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm interested in scenes of nature, however I find them. Landscape, flowers, animals, birds. I like weird stuff - ICM, abstract, scenes I can use digital brushes on or manipulate in some way.

I voted for Wildlife, Landscapes, Architecture, and Macro, tho I also shoot family at times. But I haven't gotten out as much as I used to so it's been pretty much wildlife lately (and my dog). For the first time in years I have a z105 Macro lens and I intend to get back into macro but I tend to prefer using telephoto's more than other lenses (the 600PF scratches that itch nicely). That said, my most used lens is the z24-120.

Thanks everyone for participating!

As expected, wildlife, landscapes and macro rate highest. DUH - that's the kind of site we participate on.

More importantly, I really enjoyed reading your comments! We sure have a great group of diverse members on this site!

I like to do wildlife and would ideally do that as my main subject. However, I'd also like to do something with it that's more than just a hobby, and that's caused me to start to branch out and to try to do some other things if only for the "attention" to try to get more of an audience who might notice some of what I do with wildlife and see where I can go from there.

Earlier this year I volunteered to photograph a large event for something related to my job and was able do a lot of good work there, setting up my social media and sharing all of this stuff elicited a lot of good reactions and garnered attention from a lot of locals. From that I eventually did get asked to do one family portrait session, which also went well. This was right as winter set in and so it would be a down time for much of that sort of photography anyways and so we'll see if anything further develops once it warms up.

Either way, I'm in the very early stages of trying to do any of that sort of photography, and I'm also in early stages as far as wildlife goes but I think where wildlife is concerned it's primarily in terms of location knowledge. I have only a few so-so locations I know of where I can find a limited selection of wildlife. I feel like from what experience I do have with the wildlife that I do see I'd probably do well if I knew of better locations, but I've had little success with that. There don't seem to be any local photographers of that genre to try to talk to about this sort of thing, and I've tried to heed some advice I was given here a while back to join local photography groups but that hasn't really proved fruitful, either.

So, I'm a bit of a mixed bag right now and hoping to figure out more about all of it, with wildlife still being my primary interest.

You didn't have a category for what I mostly do, pets, so I picked other. That is my primary genre. I do like to take portraits of people, do landscapes and wildlife. I'm saving up for the Nikon 180-600 as I would love to try some wildlife. I love taking images of pets. They are so much fun and fun to take pics of. It does require lots of a patience but I love it. I've always loved dogs since I was little. My dad wouldn't let us have a dog so the neighbor's dog became my best furry pal. She adopted me. She would follow me everywhere. She even barked and snapped at my sister when my sister was about ready to drag me into the house, lol. I love photographing pets. You want to hear something interesting? We have foxes in the neighborhood. They like to camp out so to speak behind my neighbor's house. One day I went in my neighbor's backyard as quietly as I could so I get pics of them. They were all back there. Guess what? They had managed to take some toys, balls, stuffed toys, dog toys from other yards and were playing with them just like dogs. I have the pics. Well, they do belong to the canine kind. I wish I had a better lens at the time but I'm happy with what I was able to get. So, I keep my dog's toys inside the house so they don't get stolen by the foxes. I guess that's why I would love to dabble in wildlife. We do have coyotes in the neighborhood. I would love to get an image or two of them.

I am very seldom without at least one camera on me at all times, so if I find something interesting, or different, it's captured. The one for me is aurora, that gets me out there and my kit has been tailored to make the best of every opportunity I get, in the murky skyed, damp and cold, North of Scotland. I do a bit of landscape, planes, birds and yes, I have done a few stage rally's as well. It's all fair game.

Please discuss if personal interest, available subjects, location, money, time, etc influence what you photograph. Also, has this changed over time? Are there limitations (logistics, time, access or ??) to what you want photograph?
I like everything...except Automobile accidents, and other gross and saddening stuff. I LOVE Yellowstone Park, animals or not...but, my wife can't travel, and due to my advancing age, anything more than 100 yards from the car is NOT "interesting"! I sometimes wonder WHY I keep buying photo equipment, and avoid green Bananas!🤡Parks, Botanical Gardens, Zoos, Aviaries, Air Shows, indoor sports and other easily-accessed attractions are better, and very satisfying. Sometimes, I do weddings for friends. Keeps the Corpsucles circulating, it does! :cool:

I started in photography to try to document the work I did as a cabinet maker, woodworker and furniture maker. I couldn't afford to hire someone so needed to take my own photos. I wasn't very good at it. I had a nikon fg.
Then, I got interested in amateur botany and birds. I wanted to document and learn about what I was seeing, especially rare plants, and to add photos to databases keeping track of locations. (I wish nikon put gps in more of their camera bodies!).
But birds got me really interested and excited about photography. At first to help with ID. But I'm much more interested in the quality and the story in my photos now.
Photography enhances how I look at the world around me and makes me see things in greater depth. I'm seeing nature in a new way and loving it.
Who knows, maybe that interest will diminish, but I don't think so. I did go through a phase where I didn't carry a camera on winter or summer mountaineering trips due to the weight and needing to move fast and light. I wish I had. There were some great photo opportunities.
But I'm older now, so new ways to experience nature are welcome!

I mainly do wildlife, and living in SouthAfrica makes this a lot easier with two of our National Parks being fairly close by, around 5 hours drive by vehicle.
My interest in photography increased significantly after retiring from a global corporate role, and, I wanted to have my wife join me and go back to some of the places/countries that I had business engagements in, but had not seen from a tourist's perspective .
This then resulted in photography trips to a number of African ,South American , European and Asian countries with the focus on wildlife ,landscapes, and cityscapes .
My wife and I have an off road 4x4 camper which we use frequently for local African travel to wildlife reserves in Botswana,Zimbabwe,Namibia, Kenya, and South Africa which provides a variety of photographic opportunities for wildlife, landscapes, night scapes, people and macro.[Have not done much Macro, intend to do more].
Gavin

Does restricting oneself to particular subjet(s) make you a good photographer? That is what I ask myself. I try and photograph a much variety as possible but have to admit portrait photography is not my thing. I suppose, if pushed, travel would come high on the list having been to so many countries already. Recently getting more interested in the video side of photography which brings its own problems to overcome.

In order of interest/preference:

Wildlife: transitioned from hunting to photography. Same thrill of the hunt with longer seasons, no bag limits, and lower impact on the subjects.

Landscape: There tends to be great landscape opportunities where wildlife dwell. Plus we travel a good bit and landscape photography is also documentary.

Family: self explanatory. In recent years we've gained extended family through church.

School sports: the same skills and equipment used for shooting wildlife translate well for sports. We now have grandkids through extended family per above and photograph their sporting events.

Back