What is this ??

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,
Wonder if anyone has any ideas on what has caused this red line in my images ? (See attached photos). Taken on a Nikon Z8 with the Z 24-70mm F2.8 lens. It appeared in three consecutive images taken one after the other but I had moved shooting position between shots - the red line appears exactly in the same place in all three images. Shooting at F9 at 70mm, 1/200th shutter speed. The memory card is a 325GB Delkin Black type B. The fourth shot is a different scene and the red line is not there. I'm puzzled as to what has caused this - anyone any thoughts ?
Richard

Attachments

• Red line.jpg
    Red line.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Red line-1.jpg
    Red line-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,240
You’re joking, right?
This is impossible… Unless it’s a contamination in the lens/sensor.
Hello Joel,
No - I'm afraid I am not joking !! Look at the line it is perfectly straight and is obviously not an optical issue - looks to be generated electronically within the image - I have attached another zoomed in image.
Richard
PS And I just checked the sensor - it is spotless. As is the Z 24-70mm lens.

Attachments

• Red line-2.jpg
    Red line-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies. BUT - on checking - my wife was with me and took several of the same view on her mobile phone camera. There is NO post seen in any of them even zooming in and looking carefully at the images. So this still - remains somewhat of a mystery. We live about 20 miles away from this location so there is no way (at the moment) of going back and checking. I still maintain it is some sort of electronically generated artefact. I also took some similar photos this afternoon of a similar view (half sky, half ground) at the same camera/lens settings - and there was no red line to be seen in them.
Richard

It looks like an object that was really there. The reason I say that is I agree that it shows modeling, that is it seems to be curved from where it is lighter on the bright side and darker on the form shadow as it turns from the light. Do you have other shots of it from a different angle. That would prove it as perspective would be different.

In the third crop you even see grass growing in front (!) of the pole 🤷

Reminds me of the really nice, redish moon shot I took recently, with tripod and walking into position and all, only to find some electricity or telephone line running straight across it.
Had the same thing with power lines in the alps that weren't immediately apparent to the eye but were clearly visible in the photo running along a ridge line.

Here is another vote for a rusty pole. You can see that it is not consistent from top to bottom and left to right. You can see that it has a 3D volume from the light play on it. A sensor error would be homogeneous. It’s also not the kind of red you get from a faulty sensor - this is brownish rusty, not pixel error red.
And somebody correct me if my memory is faulty but I think the z8 sensor reads top to bottom, so read errors would show as horizontal lines, not this effect.

You may just have established the ultimate proof that a high resolution full frame sensor with a very high quality lens is better than a cell phone 😉

Another vote for a pole. There's distinct color changes along it, and light playing means it's a real object. It also looks exactly like what a pole would look like in that spot.

As mentioned by @FB101, turns out high resolution cameras take better images than phones (who knew?). That's why it doesn't show up in cell shots but does in yours.

Hi Richard,

No wish to doubt you but I have to agree it looks like an object to me. I too think its a marker of some kind have seen these type if things on Morecombe Bay and places like marking dangerous areas like possible quicksand or hidden channels etc.

May I ask where its was taken, might be worth a look on Google Earth street view to see if there any captures on there that show the same thing. Worth a try, good luck.

Last edited:
Hello,
Wonder if anyone has any ideas on what has caused this red line in my images ? (See attached photos). Taken on a Nikon Z8 with the Z 24-70mm F2.8 lens. It appeared in three consecutive images taken one after the other but I had moved shooting position between shots - the red line appears exactly in the same place in all three images. Shooting at F9 at 70mm, 1/200th shutter speed. The memory card is a 325GB Delkin Black type B. The fourth shot is a different scene and the red line is not there. I'm puzzled as to what has caused this - anyone any thoughts ?
Richard
Try Google map street view? Not sure where you are relative to a road.

Again - thanks to all for the comments and whilst I fully agree that comparing cell phone sensor resolution to a full frame 47MP sensor resolution is a fairly pointless exercise. I have to bow to opinion on here - and cannot prove or otherwise - whether this is indeed an electronically generated artefact or - a real live red pole. The shot was taken (for those who know the area) from the esplanade at Grange-over-Sands (in Cumbria, NW England) looking across the River Kent estuary on Morecambe Bay, towards the village of Arnside in the far distance and the hill on the right of shot across the Kent Estuary, is Arnside Knott. I guess - I'll just have to wait until the next time we visit that area - to see if the red pole really exists. This time - I'll take a pair of binoculars with me !! But, thanks again to all who have taken the time to respond.

Again - thanks to all for the comments and whilst I fully agree that comparing cell phone sensor resolution to a full frame 47MP sensor resolution is a fairly pointless exercise. I have to bow to opinion on here - and cannot prove or otherwise - whether this is indeed an electronically generated artefact or - a real live red pole. The shot was taken (for those who know the area) from the esplanade at Grange-over-Sands (in Cumbria, NW England) looking across the River Kent estuary on Morecambe Bay, towards the village of Arnside in the far distance and the hill on the right of shot across the Kent Estuary, is Arnside Knott. I guess - I'll just have to wait until the next time we visit that area - to see if the red pole really exists. This time - I'll take a pair of binoculars with me !! But, thanks again to all who have taken the time to respond.
Ah I thought I recognised the view I know the area well it well that's why I mentioned Morecombe Bay. I live just a bit south of there near Preston. Next time I'm up at Leighton Moss I'll take a look.

Back