What is your favorite choice for a lightweight carry-around casual or street shooter setup?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I mostly shoot with Z9‘s and heavy lenses.

There is however the need to add a small and lightweight option for more casual or inconspicuous outings.

It could be a lighter Nikon body and the choices include the Zf and new Z6iii. I already have the Z7ii which is pretty light weight. We could go a bit heavier with the Z8.

It could just be a cell phone.

Or I could look at Leica choices.

Do I want a high megapixel sensor or would 24mm be enough? The Leica Q series cameras combine a high quality fixed focal length wide angle with a high megapixel sensor. Although expensive are those the best choice for this use?

So the question I am posing is which would be your preferences for a light weight carry around/street camera and why. Also which lens.

This should be an interesting discussion.

I started on Fuji with the X-T2 and added a X100F before moving over to Nikon for wildlife... I still love the experience of their cameras for travel and street. 90% of my photos out and about are with my iPhone because it's so versatile and it's always in my hand, but when I want the feeling of *real photography* (lol) I still really enjoy the X100V... Will it ever match the Leica or other high end cameras for specs? Nah... But for me it's more about the experience, less about the results.

I mostly shoot with Z9‘s and heavy lenses.

There is however the need to add a small and lightweight option for more casual or inconspicuous outings.

It could be a lighter Nikon body and the choices include the Zf and new Z6iii. I already have the Z7ii which is pretty light weight. We could go a bit heavier with the Z8.

It could just be a cell phone.

Or I could look at Leica choices.

Do I want a high megapixel sensor or would 24mm be enough? The Leica Q series cameras combine a high quality fixed focal length wide angle with a high megapixel sensor. Although expensive are those the best choice for this use?

So the question I am posing is which would be your preferences for a light weight carry around/street camera and why. Also which lens.

This should be an interesting discussion.

Got a Q2 Monochrom coming.

For general walk around and general photography, I use a 24-120 and Z6 (a Z6ii or Z7/ii has the same body, so...). If it has to be really discrete and small, a Z30 and a 16-50. For cases like that I find myself looking at a used 24-50 ever so often. An alternative would be something like a 40/2, 28/2.8 or 26/2.8, small, works good in low light and has usefull focal length.

I ordered the Z63 exactly for this. My favorite travel lens is the Plena, but I will also use the 26,14-30, or 24-200 depending. The 26 is mostly used at night when it will strictly be people or food shots. The 14-30 for walking around towns unless say Carnival is going on and then the Plena comes out.

What are you willing to carry and how is a question I would ask you. When do you see using this.
I am pretty sure I can fit the Z63 and 26 in a Peak Field Pouch. Take that out in the evenings.
For the day time if I am going for a while, I use the Peak Everyday Backpack for its dual sided sling style opening. I gives me lots of options plus room at the top for jackets and stuff.
I would say focus on what your "lifestyle" of this type of shooting is as much as which camera. I was using a Z5 but now the Z63 lets me have the option of doing wildlife too if I come across it.

You can adapt alot of cameras to what you want to do. I prefer to stick with Nikon and the controls I know.

I also use my iPhone but I prefer the camera.

Fuji X100V or X100VI /thread

Seriously. The best and most fun camera around for travel, family, street photography.

I too mainly use the Z9 and heavy wildlife lenses. I'm not about to travel overseas and walk around with a Z9 and a 24-70 or something. Far too expensive and attention seeking. Most people look at a Fuji X series and think they're a "play" camera, even though the results can and have been used frequently for professional work.

I love the Fuji film sims, for SOOC (straight out of camera) JPEGS. Means they look "old school" with no editing required. I get home from a trip, pick what I like, and have them all sent out the same day. No editing unless I really want to.

Here are a couple of pics from Iceland, Hawaii, and Upper Michigan.

It's a fixed focal length 23mm f2 (35mm FF equiv). Lightweight. Built in switchable ND (great for long exposure). The VI now has IBIS as well which should allow for long-ish exposure handholding.

None of the pictures below have been edited. They are all SOOC JPEGS.

_DSF6292.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
_DSF6465.JPG
_DSF6603.JPG
_DSF8303.JPG
_DSF8460.JPG
_DSF8520.JPG
_DSF8531.JPG
_DSF8960.JPG

Last edited:
and some more since I guess there's a limit on pics per post...

4.JPG
DSCF0026_DxO.jpg
DSCF0049_DxO.jpg
DSCF1670_DxO.jpg
DSCF1971.JPG
DSCF4391.JPG
DSCF4470.JPG

Last edited:
I'd recommend that you look at the Leica Q3. A lightweight, compact 60MP camera with a superb lens (28mm that crops to 35, 50 75 and 90mm). Very versatile. To me, it's the perfect "travel camera." Just returned from a vacation trip in Europe, and the Q3 fit the bill quite nicely.

Fuji X100V or X100VI /thread

Seriously. The best and most fun camera around for travel, family, street photography.

I too mainly use the Z9 and heavy wildlife lenses. I'm not about to travel overseas and walk around with a Z9 and a 24-70 or something. Far too expensive and attention seeking. Most people look at a Fuji X series and think they're a "play" camera, even though the results can and have been used frequently for professional work.

I love the Fuji film sims, for SOOC (straight out of camera) JPEGS. Means they look "old school" with no editing required. I get home from a trip, pick what I like, and have them all sent out the same day. No editing unless I really want to.

Here are a couple of pics from Iceland, Hawaii, and Upper Michigan.

It's a fixed focal length 23mm f2 (35mm FF equiv). Lightweight. Built in switchable ND (great for long exposure). The VI now has IBIS as well which should allow for long-ish exposure handholding.

None of the pictures below have been edited. They are all SOOC JPEGS.

View attachment 92009View attachment 92010View attachment 92011View attachment 92012View attachment 92013View attachment 92014View attachment 92015View attachment 92016
That's a serious overlander. Make that two serious ones. Iceland?

I'd recommend that you look at the Leica Q3. A lightweight, compact 60MP camera with a superb lens (28mm that crops to 35, 50 75 and 90mm). Very versatile. To me, it's the perfect "travel camera." Just returned from a vacation trip in Europe, and the Q3 fit the bill quite nicely.
I just ordered the Q2M. The 3 looks even more amazing but I decided to challenge myself with pure B&W.

Panasonic GX-8/90 or Olympus EM-5 III/OM-5 with any mix and match of Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 fisheye, Panasonic-Leica 9mm f1.7, Olympus 12mm f2.0, Panasonic Leica 15mm f1.7, Olympus 17mm f1.8, Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Olympus 25mm f1.8 or PL 25mm f1.4, Olympus 45mm f1.8, Sigma 56mm f1.4 or Olympus 75mm f1.8.

With a pair of cargo pants you can take a Panasonic body and any 3 of the above lenses and not worry about taking a bag with you.

Image quality is solid (not a single dud of a lens amongst them), performance is decent and most of them are cheap as chips on the used market so not much to worry if they get lost/stolen/damaged.

When I travel (or sometimes meet friends for a meal), I use a Fuji XF10 as my pocket camera. I use it in the same way most people use their cell phone, for snapshots. On a trip I will supplement my art shots on DSLR with this for quick scenes that I only want to put in my trip photo album that I create after overseas trips. I bought it (refurbished) mainly because it has an APS-C sensor, which is larger than most point-and-shoot sensors.

Unfortunately it is discontinued and the only APS-C point and shoot alternative is the Ricoh GRiii for a thousand bucks. It has stabilization while my Fuji does not, but there is no way I am paying a thousand bucks for a pocket camera. I just did a quick search for used XF10 and there are none at B&H or KEH and the couple I found on Ebay are overpriced.

So, unless you want to pay for the Ricoh (which I am sure is great), it seems the only choice for a true pocket camera is to go with a smaller sensor. (If it's only for snapshots who cares so I don't know why I am hung up on the sensor size). If it doesn't have to be pocket size per se, but just something lighter, then a small Z body for your existing lenses seems logical. Relatively affordable and lightweigh solutions include Z30, Z5, Zfc.

When I travel (or sometimes meet friends for a meal), I use a Fuji XF10 as my pocket camera. I use it in the same way most people use their cell phone, for snapshots. On a trip I will supplement my art shots on DSLR with this for quick scenes that I only want to put in my trip photo album that I create after overseas trips. I bought it (refurbished) mainly because it has an APS-C sensor, which is larger than most point-and-shoot sensors.

Unfortunately it is discontinued and the only APS-C point and shoot alternative is the Ricoh GRiii for a thousand bucks. It has stabilization while my Fuji does not, but there is no way I am paying a thousand bucks for a pocket camera. I just did a quick search for used XF10 and there are none at B&H or KEH and the couple I found on Ebay are overpriced.

So, unless you want to pay for the Ricoh (which I am sure is great), it seems the only choice for a true pocket camera is to go with a smaller sensor. (If it's only for snapshots who cares so I don't know why I am hung up on the sensor size). If it doesn't have to be pocket size per se, but just something lighter, then a small Z body for your existing lenses seems logical. Relatively affordable and lightweigh solutions include Z30, Z5, Zfc.

Sony sells two compact FF bodies, the A7Cii and A7Cr. The latter is 61mp, same as the Leica Q3.

I currently have the Z 7ii. This camera body weighs only 1.4 lbs which is certainly light enough. this is an older camera and in particular its autofocus system does not measure up to more recent Z camera standards. If I want to stick to a full; frame high megapixel sensor this is the best choice in the Nikon world for light weight. I would consider a change to either Zf or Z6iii but I am not sold on a 24 mp sensor.

For carry around lenses I have used the 24-70mm f4 but I probably would prefer the 24-70mm f2.8 even though it is a significantly larger lens. I would also consider a wider prime such as A 35mm or 40mm.

The idea of a Q3 fascinates me and I would consider a fixed frame camera with a substantial MP sensor however it bothers me that the pixel count drops off significantly with crops greater than 50mm making this lens pretty useless in the portrait or 135mm focal length range. Not to mention the price is off-putting. I might prefer an interchangeable lens Leica but those prices are far worse. The Leica has always been a fascinating camera for me but I always choked on the price.

If Nikon came out with a higher megapixel camera that incorporates the Z8/9 focus features I would consider adding it. To my mind the Z8 while lighter than the Z9 is still not a light weight camera and I would not consider it for a lighweight street shooter.

I can live with the Z7ii’s shortcomings and it works as a street shooter but I would really like to see it updated.

I currently have the Z 7ii. This camera body weighs only 1.4 lbs which is certainly light enough. this is an older camera and in particular its autofocus system does not measure up to more recent Z camera standards. If I want to stick to a full; frame high megapixel sensor this is the best choice in the Nikon world for light weight. I would consider a change to either Zf or Z6iii but I am not sold on a 24 mp sensor.

For carry around lenses I have used the 24-70mm f4 but I probably would prefer the 24-70mm f2.8 even though it is a significantly larger lens. I would also consider a wider prime such as A 35mm or 40mm.

The idea of a Q3 fascinates me and I would consider a fixed frame camera with a substantial MP sensor however it bothers me that the pixel count drops off significantly with crops greater than 50mm making this lens pretty useless in the portrait or 135mm focal length range. Not to mention the price is off-putting. I might prefer an interchangeable lens Leica but those prices are far worse. The Leica has always been a fascinating camera for me but I always choked on the price.

If Nikon came out with a higher megapixel camera that incorporates the Z8/9 focus features I would consider adding it. To my mind the Z8 while lighter than the Z9 is still not a light weight camera and I would not consider it for a lighweight street shooter.

I can live with the Z7ii’s shortcomings and it works as a street shooter but I would really like to see it updated.
Ok how many prints have you done in the last year. I think you talked about getting into that but aren't there.
Static subject - Pixel Shift if you want for landscapes.
You are of similar age to me - care to experiment - turn the Z7ii into an infrared camera.
The Z6iii gives you plenty for an 16x23 print. Watch the Danson Video where he compares prints to the Z8. And then offers to give one away.
We show our travels on our 75" TV and 24mp is plenty, or on Adobe Portfolio and that will be plenty too.

The compact Sony A7C R has the same sensor as the Leica Q3 with interchangeable lens. Half price, nominally but of course you have to add a lens to it, and the GM lenses aren't inexpensive.

For a trip to Mexico I wanted something inconspicuous but with a 4/3 or larger size sensor. I bought the MFT Panasonic Lumix DC-LX100 II for $800. It will fit inside a jacket pocket and it captures Raw and has Shutter Priority which are must have capabilities for me.

With a larger budget the Zf and the new 28-400mm lens would be a very good option, in particular as the camera and this lens supports Nikon's synchro VR to enable slower shutter speeds. I still need 1/80s to avoid subject motion blur with people but could go lower and take a burst of shots. I used the Nikon 28-300mm f/5.6 VR lens in Europe and it was excellent. It was not too conspicuous on the streets or in a marketplace. This is unlike the 70-200mm that would cause people to visibly tense up when pointed in their direction.

I am attracted to the Panasonic S9 that has a full size 24MP sensor and can use any L-mount lens. But I would need to buy more lenses. Easier and cheaper to add a new or used Zf camera.

You really need to consider how you plan to use this camera and what you really want out of it. The Z9 is a large and heavy camera, but if you plan to continue to use large and heavy lenses, how much are you going to save? Also think about what compromises are you willing to make and what features from your Z9 are absolute must haves on this smaller camera. The small, lightweight travel camera I want doesn’t yet exist, or at least not completely.

I had an X100T and I really liked the camera overall. Most of the major shortcomings have since been resolved, bigger batter, more resolution, better AF, but I am not a big fan of 35mm focal length and so a fixed lens camera at 35mm is only so useful to me. It would fit in a jacket pocket which is nice. I have two smaller point and shoot cameras, one with a 1inch sensor the other with M4/3. They are not bad cameras but I feel I am lacking in overall IQ when using them. One will fit in a pocket fairly easy so the convenience of carrying it is not bad. When you get into interchangeable lens cameras or even cameras with larger fixed lenses, they are no longer able to easily fit into a jacket pocket and you will be carrying a camera around with you. So you need to ask yourself is this going to be an issue and what is your ultimate goal.

I chose the Nikon Zf with the 28mm 2.8, 40mm 2, and 24-70mm F4 for myself. Honestly if I felt the need to carry around a 24-70mm F/2.8, I would likely take my Z8 because the size and bulk you are carrying is the lens. My compromise is less MP, which I have yet to miss and using smaller lenses. Because I shoot Nikon I can bring whatever lenses I want to for a specific purpose. If I bought a different brand camera, I would be limited to whatever lenses I decided to buy for that system and you eventually end up building a second system. I think the Z6iii is a better camera than the Zf but I actually like the retro vibe of the Zf. I may pick up a Z6iii for the extra speed and more capable video in a smaller camera but I am very pleased with the Zf.

Ok how many prints have you done in the last year. I think you talked about getting into that but aren't there.
You are of similar age to me - care to experiment - turn the Z7ii into an infrared camera.
The Z6iii gives you plenty for an 16x23 print. Watch the Danson Video where he compares prints to the Z8. And then offers to give one away.
We show our travels on our 75" TV and 24mp is plenty, or on Adobe Portfolio and that will be plenty too.
You ultimately challenge me on my bias in favor of high megapixel cameras and my reluctance to experiment with 24mp.

Certainly that point is well taken. If I were going to experiment the Z6iii would be the best choice here. Until I tried it I can’t say how it will work out for me.

I do print and I have printed about ten or twelve in the past two weeks.

I also recognize that a 24mp image will be more than adequate for a 16/23 print which is pretty much the largest my P900 printer will produce. The advantage of the higher megapixel camera combined with a high IQ lens is the ability to crop significantly.

Of course, I am not giving up the Z9 by adding a lower mp camera.

So the conclusion I am reaching is that maybe I should try the z6iii.

But there is the matter of permission from She Who Must Be Obeyed. I hope one day to get permission for one of the big primes. I need to prioritize here.

I used the D3 with its full size 12MP sensor and most of the time the resolution was adequate even with the image processing tools available in 2008. Many people have gotten good results with the 21MP DX D500 camera and the D850 at a DX crop is a 19MP camera. A 24MP Zf is by no means challenged in terms of image resolution unless someone plans to produce wall size prints to be viewed at close distance by people.

Noise with higher ISO settings is a key consideration and a limitation of sensors smaller than that provided with MFT cameras. Olympus/OM-1 and Panasonic wisely limit the photosite number to have them as large and as efficient at collecting light as possible. The image files are more than adequate for a 20x30 print to be viewed at normal viewing distances.

For my part the 45MP sensor of a camera is often overkill and makes every aspect of file management and processing more time consuming. A 60MP camera is not at all appealing to me. I often will use my MFT camera with its 21MP sensor so as to have a much smaller raw file size to process instead of those from the Z9.

I took a look at the video and then asked myself the questionl, what could I have done equally well with the Z7ii that I already own?

The answer, at least for the photos taken in the video, is that I could have done pretty much all that with the Z7ii.

Clearly the Z6ii has advantages in lower light performance, shooting speed and autofocus. But when shooting landscape those features are less significant Including shooting long exposures on a tripod.

Last week I visited Hurricane Ridge in the early evening. Hurricane RIdge is this area in the Olympic National Park in Washington state that is located about 5-6000 ft that combines sweeping landscape views with wildlife encounters, mostly deer, marmots and birds. Our plan involved hiking a trail for a couple miles with roughly a 1000 ft climb. My numbers may be off, it felt at times like I was climbing Mt. Everest. Living at sea level I have touches of altitude sickness when I go above 5000 ft with no period of time to acclimatize.

So I had to choose lenses. To save weight I elected to go without a tripod and brought two Z9’s with the 70-200mm f2.8 and the 400mm f4.5. Carrying both of them on a Holdfast dual camera strap proved comfortable and I could do everything handheld and move quickly between lenses. I like shooting that way.

The problem was I had no wide angle for landscape. As the sunset went down the full moon came out and all of a sudden there were these great landscape opportunities that cried out for wide vista shots. All that equipment was back in the truck. Of course by the time we got back to the truck we were tired and did not want to change lenses and hike back up to the great vistas.

The lesson I learned from this shoot is that I should have had a third body with a wide angle lens. The Z7ii would have worked well here.

That is OK Hurricane Ridge is still there and the moon will be full again. I can go back, this time with the wide angle lenses, and get those shots I missed. I think a dedicated trip for this purpose including a tripod would allow for the inclusion of astrophotography options with wonderful possibilities.

Back