What makes a Nikon lens an S lens?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello All,

New guy here. I’m David Bostock from Portland, Oregon. I’ve been a long-time photographer starting out with Canon film cameras, then Canon digital. I switched to Fujifilm in 2018. After having nothing but problems with Fujifilm’s autofocus and subject detection, I sold it all in July and picked up the Nikon Z 8 and a few lenses. The new gear is fantastic; I wish I’d made the switch sooner. I do landscape, macro, and wildlife, mostly birds. Steve’s Nikon Z8 and Z9 Wildlife Setup Guide and Secrets to Stunning Bird-in-Flight Photography were fantastic in getting me up to speed quickly. Thank you Steve.

I got the Z 180-600mm for wildlife and really like it. All my other lenses are Nikon Z S lenses. So, what makes a Nikon lens an S lens? Just curious…

Looking forward to participating on these forums.

Cheers,
David

I have two S-line lenses (20mm & 24-120mm) and two non S-line lenses (40mm & 70-180mm). Based on just those four lenses, the overall build quality (fit and finish) of the S-line lenses is a little better. For example, the zoom ring of the 24-120mm is smoother and more damped than with the 70-180mm. The optical refinements/improvements seem to be a little more present in the S-line lenses. I think the S-line lenses also get some additional lens coatings applied but not sure that is consistently the case. IMHO, there are no glaring differences and you wouldn't know the pic was from an S-line lens unless I indicated so (or you obsessively pixel peep).

As described by Nikon, “S” lenses are developed to have Nikon’s highest level of optical performance. The use of high quality glass with meticulous finish, as well as various proprietary coatings, produce acuity across the image frame with minimized aberration.

There’s more at the link below.

Welcome to the forum, David!

Hello All,

New guy here. I’m David Bostock from Portland, Oregon. I’ve been a long-time photographer starting out with Canon film cameras, then Canon digital. I switched to Fujifilm in 2018. After having nothing but problems with Fujifilm’s autofocus and subject detection, I sold it all in July and picked up the Nikon Z 8 and a few lenses. The new gear is fantastic; I wish I’d made the switch sooner. I do landscape, macro, and wildlife, mostly birds. Steve’s Nikon Z8 and Z9 Wildlife Setup Guide and Secrets to Stunning Bird-in-Flight Photography were fantastic in getting me up to speed quickly. Thank you Steve.

I got the Z 180-600mm for wildlife and really like it. All my other lenses are Nikon Z S lenses. So, what makes a Nikon lens an S lens? Just curious…

Cheers,
David

Check out this webpage for some details about the S line of lenses: S line: A Badge of Honor for NIKKOR Z Lenses

Some quotes from the article:

"... S-line lenses are subject to even more stringent expectations and standards. They are designed to be a step above..."

"...edge sharpness is maintained for all NIKKOR Z S-Line lenses...."

"...S-Line lenses offer superior resolution...."

The article is worth reading. :cool:

Hello All,

Cheers,
David

To demonstrate what others said about optics, here is a comparison between S and non S 35mm. And to alleviate the "it's faster, so not as sharp" comment, also two S lenses of same focal length, one faster (but similarly sharp).

BTW, sharper doesn't mean better. For example, nothing I like about the 35mm S, the non S is a little better, and the AF-S is really better than both. Modern lenses, Nikkor especially are so corrected and full of low-dispersion glass, most have been robbed of any character.

S vs Non S.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back