What brand and size media for video?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ButlerKid

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I will be using a Z8......recording video to the SDXC card. Will be trying to capture footage on 2-3 week trips to Antarctica and Tanzania.....

Just curious what brand/type/size cards folks are using.

I will be using a Z8......recording video to the SDXC card. Will be trying to capture footage on 2-3 week trips to Antarctica and Tanzania.....

Hi Karen,

Take me along with you and I'll supply all the cards you'll ever need!!! o_O :cool:;)😛 Ha ha ha!

Cheers and have an awesome time!
Rudy

That will depend on what format you record your video. But why record video on the SDXC card? I always record my video on my CFexpress card along with my pics. Simpler to have them both on the same card? For backing up, etc? I just keep the SDXC in for "emergencies" if I fill the CFexpress card.
PS. I use large CFexpress cards, even have a 2TB one (rest are 650GB).

That will depend on what format you record your video. But why record video on the SDXC card? I always record my video on my CFexpress card along with my pics. Simpler to have them both on the same card? For backing up, etc? I just keep the SDXC in for "emergencies" if I fill the CFexpress card.
PS. I use large CFexpress cards, even have a 2TB one (rest are 650GB).
I found that I didn't come close to filling a 325gb CFe card in 3 days. But each time I backed up, the s/w was rendering all the images on the card (even though prior days had already been backed up) and it took forever. I'd prefer to make 2 copies of the raw's, then re-format the card for the next day.

So, I put raw images on the CFe card and put videos on the SDXC card.....

I found that I didn't come close to filling a 325gb CFe card in 3 days. But each time I backed up, the s/w was rendering all the images on the card (even though prior days had already been backed up) and it took forever. I'd prefer to make 2 copies of the raw's, then re-format the card for the next day.

So, I put raw images on the CFe card and put videos on the SDXC card.....
Ok, whatever works for you. Not sure what s/w is, I just drag my folders onto a Samsung solid state external hard drive. It is very fast. What hard drive do you use to back up on? The way I do it I only have one copy of the photos/video backed up and never reformat my cards. Came back from a 2 week trip to Tanzania with 3 TB of data (video and photos).

Ok, whatever works for you. Not sure what s/w is, I just drag my folders onto a Samsung solid state external hard drive. It is very fast. What hard drive do you use to back up on? The way I do it I only have one copy of the photos/video backed up and never reformat my cards. Came back from a 2 week trip to Tanzania with 3 TB of data (video and photos).
There are no folders on a CFe.......just raw images. So I need to copy them to an external HD - twice - before reformatting the CFe card.

There are no folders on a CFe.......just raw images. So I need to copy them to an external HD - twice - before reformatting the CFe card.
Not sure what you mean, my CFe cards have folders, look inside the DCIM folder:

Attachments

• folders.png
    folders.png
    91.6 KB · Views: 5
The only folders created are when you exceed the number of files per folder. Other than that, there is no significance to the folder system. I back up at the end of each day.....regardless of the folder structure set by Nikon.

I use Sony Tough

Тhіѕ hіgh-реrfоrmаnсе mеmоrу саrd іѕ thе іdеаl ѕtоrаgе ѕоlutіоn fоr рrоfеѕѕіоnаl рhоtоgrарhеrѕ аnd vіdеоgrарhеrѕ wоrkіng оut оn lосаtіоn. Тhаnkѕ tо а lаrgе 245GВ сарасіtу аnd UЅН-ІІ іntеrfасе, thіѕ саrd fасіlіtаtеѕ аdvаnсеd funсtіоnѕ lіkе fіlmіng іn 8К аnd ѕhооtіng RАW. Соmbіnеd wіth а durаblе dеѕіgn buіlt tо wіthѕtаnd еvеn thе hаrѕhеѕt еnvіrоnmеntѕ, thіѕ саrd іѕ аn іnсrеdіblу dереndаblе сhоісе. Моrе

Not being a videographer, I went and looked at my Z8 camera:

H.265 10 bit N Log

3840x2160 120p
That is a heavy duty video format, SD cards are not going to be able to manage the data rates for 4k, 120 fps 10bit NLog. CF Express supporting at least 300Mbits sustained is the way to go. I have my file names for Video set to start with VID so they are easy to separate from NEF files on the card using the file browser.

That is a heavy duty video format, SD cards are not going to be able to manage the data rates for 4k, 120 fps 10bit NLog. CF Express is the way to go. I have my file names for Video set to start with VID so they are easy to separate from NEF files on the card using the file browser.
Thank you so very, very much!

Hubby will be doing all the editing. He uses Final Cut Pro. He films using a camcorder and shoots mainly 1080......and occasionally 4K. His output is 20 minute videos in mpg/mpeg. But when I ask him about the frame rate, SDR vs N-log etc, he has no idea what I am talking about!

So....Is there a set of parameters equivalent to what he uses on his camcorder that I can set on the Z8?

Thank you so very, very much!

Hubby will be doing all the editing. He uses Final Cut Pro. He films using a camcorder and shoots mainly 1080......and occasionally 4K. He output is 20 minute videos in mpg/mpeg. But when I ask him about the frame rate, SDR vs N-log etc, he has no idea what I am talking about!

So....Is there a set of parameters equivalent to what he uses on his camcorder that I can set on the Z8?

N-log is a demanding format requiring work in post production so best stay with SDR and skip N-log or N-Raw or ProRes Raw.

H.265 is newer than H.264, H264 will be viewable by anybody whilst H265 may require users to install an update to view on Windows. You should be able to output from H.265 down to H.264 in Final Cut Pro if required. As an Apple user maybe also look at ProRes 422 HQ 10 bit in SDR format. I don't have Apple so ProRes is not much use to me on Windows.

In summary H.264 is the easiest to use but only 8 bit i.e. JPEG equivalent, I prefer H.265 10 bit, the 10 bit gives you a bit more room for editing. As an Apple user also consider ProRes 10 bit SDR. Quality wise H.265 10 bit and ProRes 10 bit are similiar but they differ in file size.

Frame rate 120 FPS is for slow motion so also needs work in post production.

Normal frame rates consider 24 FPS is the cinematic default, but the web is mostly 30 FPS.

1080 is HD format so 1920 x 1080 30p for 30 frames per second or 1920 x 1080 24p for 24 FPS is probably the ones you want.

Last edited:
Back