What role if any does/can I Cloud play in a MAC photo processing or reviewing setup

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am a recent convert to the Apple system. In the process off setting this up I ran into some confusion over how Cloud should be configured and used.

I am going to assume a setup for an individual who has both a base station MAC for primary photo editing plus a MacBook and/or iPad for field use as well as an iPhone and Apple Watch.

Assuming you have such a setup, how does iCloud fit in and how would you configure it?

In particular is there any purpose to be served by having a large capacity iCloud account given the added cost involved?

I use Apple Photos as my primary catalogue. I find it easy to use, can do simple edits (which account for most of my editing). Affinity Photo and Topaz work as plug ins. I have a 2tb "family" iCloud plan that my wife and I share. When we fill it up, we'll go to 2tb individual. I like it because when I import images into my Photos catalogue, they automatically synch to iCloud and I can view/edit them using my iPad and iPhone from anywhere.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Maybe watch a video or two from MacMost as needed for your Apple topics. I like that guy.
iCloud plays a variety of roles including backing up your phone and allowing documents to synch to your devices, and that would include photos too if you like. That said you can use iCloud Photo Library just to synch the images to your phone. Most people can't live with just the free plan as the phone backup takes up all that space quickly.
We actually use most of the services of Apple One, except the games, so we pay for that and get 2TB.

Apple Photos has some decent editing tools but no masking or layers for Photos so you decide.

One good use of iCloud is Shared Albums. We often share with family our trip albums.

Watching some of the videos on it will help you decide what's right for you, and of course he is good on many Mac topics, including iMovie.

Hope this helps, Michael

Back