WHAT THE HECK IS G FIRMWARE ON THE Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was going through my lens inventory to make sure I updated all the lens firmware.

In reviewing my two Z9’s I see firmware C for the camera and LF for the lens.

I also see G which is in version 0.17.

What the heck is firmware G for? I could not find a reference to a G firmware category in their download page.

I have nothing attached to the camera except a Z lens when I check firmware.

I did my Z9 upgrade when it first came out and did it right, including getting the G updated. Secure in doing it right I promptly forgot about it.

I went down this latest rabbit hole because I was reading somewhere on this site that I could not upgrade lens firmware unless the lens is on the camera.
That set me down the road of checking all my lenses to make sure I had upgraded.

After about the fourth or fifth lens check, all of which were already upgraded, I noticed the G firmware. So I naturally wondered what it was for. Looking on the download site I got no enlightenment so I came in here and got the correct answer right away.

The Z9 is certainly the most complicated camera I have ever owned. It strains my brain to try to keep up with all of it.

Recently retired from a mentally demanding non-photography craft, I welcome the stimulation to stave off what might otherwise be advancing senile dementia.

Stay active stay challenged do what I want to do not what I am required to do to make money. Recipe for a happy and rewarding retirement.

I tell my doctors I am immortal. They express doubt. They are all a bunch of pessimists.

Thanks everyone on this site for helping keep me on track.:devilish::devilish::devilish:

Had to update the 5.0 firmware in my Z9 twice to get the G firmware to update. Nikon could have done a better job of publicizing this.
I'm 100% certain it's in the update instructions. It's not nikons fault if people don't read them.

per https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/516.html

"
Following the update of Z 9 firmware “C” (performed with the first update), the GNSS module firmware will be updated with the second update. To perform the second update, follow Steps 3, 4, and 5 in “Updating the Camera Firmware”.

Note: The second update is not necessary if the GNSS module’s firmware “G” is already 0.17, as with which version, the improvement has already been made."

I'm 100% certain it's in the update instructions. It's not nikons fault if people don't read them.

per https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/516.html

"
Following the update of Z 9 firmware “C” (performed with the first update), the GNSS module firmware will be updated with the second update. To perform the second update, follow Steps 3, 4, and 5 in “Updating the Camera Firmware”.

Note: The second update is not necessary if the GNSS module’s firmware “G” is already 0.17, as with which version, the improvement has already been made."
Thanks for pointing that out Cameron. Good advice.

I always check them just in case something changes that I wasn't expecting, though usually they don't (or if they do, it's a change I can just roll with). The last big change was the download became the bin file directly instead of a zip, but that threw a lot of people off too despite it being in the instructions.

Back