What version of nikkor f 400mm f2.8, 500mm f4 or sigma 500mm f4?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello, I shoot with Nikon 9 and Nikkor 500mm PF f5.6 every day. Since I've been taking photos of badgers in dark forests lately, I'm considering buying a slightly brighter lens. I can't afford a Nikkor with 400mm f2.8, so I'm considering an older version of the Nikkor 400mm f 2.8, or 500mm f4, or Sigma 500mm f4. Can you recommend me a specific version? I know that the FL version would be the best, but it exceeds my budget, which is $3,400.

Is your only application going to be using a tripod in a hide?

If you'll be shooting from more than a hide, walking around, traveling with the lens, etc. I would throw out all of those options. Lenses over 7lbs are just not fun to use (imo) and result in them sitting on the shelf regardless of aperture.

I'd probably be looking for a Canon 300 f2.8 to adapt, or a Nikon 400 4.5. You might find the Nikon 400 4.5 to be a good replacement for your 500PF, as it will allow you 560mm f6.3 when used with the TC.

Back