Which area mode (Nikon Z9) seems more useful for larger flock of birds in flight?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was thinking perhaps Auto or Dynamic Area Large to maybe avoid the camera selecting just the one or two closer birds (as occurs if Wide area Large is selected with tracking), and then probably changing to others more often than required? But any suggestions are welcome, please.

Which ever I am in , I just pick one bird to focus & track it & the whole frame looks good since most of the times, the birds in the flock seem to sync their wing movements . I never change focus to any other bird after the initial selection to get the best results

Which ever I am in , I just pick one bird to focus & track it & the whole frame looks good since most of the times, the birds in the flock seem to sync their wing movements . I never change focus to any other bird after the initial selection to get the best results
Thank you, I guess that would be using 3D on that bird then?

Don't take offense if I say a too basic thing, but whatever focus mode it is, there is still the whole plane of sharp focus parallel to the sensor at a given focus distance. So the AF whatever mode is going to find an edge or contrast on one bird and focus at that distance, and from there the DOF will give relative sharpness in front of or behind that plane.

Back