Which crop is better?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Vertical or horizontal?

• Vertical

• Horizontal

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not sure whether I like the more standard vertical or the more creative horizontal.
DSC_0122s-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
DSC_0122s-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I prefer the vertical orientation but I was distracted by the blurry tip of the beak. I know how challenging it can be to get everything in focus. Sometimes, the blur (such as on the neck) is not distracting but for me the blurred beak was. Sadly, the vertical crop makes this blurriness even more prominent.

I prefer the vertical orientation but I was distracted by the blurry tip of the beak. I know how challenging it can be to get everything in focus. Sometimes, the blur (such as on the neck) is not distracting but for me the blurred beak was. Sadly, the vertical crop makes this blurriness even more prominent.
Definitely can understand that opinion. But for me, the blur adds to the picture as it gives a pleasing bokeh and makes you focus on the eyes of the egret.

For me, the decision on how to crop should be based on how the image will be used. Since you want to emphasize the eyes, then the portrait aspect ratio is better than the horizontal crop. But did you try a square crop?

A vertical crop might be nice, but you seem to have more of a square-ish or Maybe 4:5 crop.its hard to tell because the pixel dimensions are too big to see the whole vertical without scrolling. Maybe try 2:3 or even 1:2 to emphasize the long neck. I'd like more neck. I'd agree the beak being sharp would be better.

Back