Which direction do you like

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
from last weekend at the Canadian Raptor Conversancy.

Bird coming in from the left is more calming, flows "down hill" from the upper left to lower right.

From the right I feel has more tension, climbing up a hill from bottom left to upper right.

Does this make sense to any one else?

_Z9C1810-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

From the Right.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• From The Left.jpg
    From The Left.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 32
Back before my time, the 'baroque diagonal,' lower left to upper right was considered stable, noble, light, uplifting, while the 'sinister diagonal,' upper left to lower right was dark, foreboding, etc.

The eye generally goes to the brightest part of the frame first. So on the second image, my eye moves downward from the bright part of the extended wing in the upper right down diagonally to the lower left. The same for the first image. My eye moves downward from the brightest part of the extended wing in the upper left to the lower right.

I prefer the first image.

Back before my time, the 'baroque diagonal,' lower left to upper right was considered stable, noble, light, uplifting, while the 'sinister diagonal,' upper left to lower right was dark, foreboding, etc.
I guess that is the way I think

The eye generally goes to the brightest part of the frame first. So on the second image, my eye moves downward from the bright part of the extended wing in the upper right down diagonally to the lower left. The same for the first image. My eye moves downward from the brightest part of the extended wing in the upper left to the lower right.

I prefer the first image.
Thanks for a useful explanation

Not really. But, as someone from a western culture the first shot looks more "natural" as we are conditioned to left to right flow.
Agree - I find it less tense. My wife described the image where the bird is coming from the right as jarring and tense

Interesting. I like the one coming in from the left more, but I wonder if that is because
1. I assumed it was the original?
2. It was the first image I saw?

No idea how our minds process this, but these factors could influence ones preference.

I like the first version, coming in from the left and heading right. Maybe it is because we Westerners read from left to right?
Yes, I think there is something in this. I remember seeing a BBC series, “The Art of Japanese Life” where they presented Hokusai’s Wave normally and in mirror image. The mirror image (flowing, towering from right to left) was much more threatening to Western eyes, and the theory went, much more how a Japanese viewer would perceive the original - and related to reading direction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tvzws

Last edited:
Back