Which Gitzo monopod?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello everybody, I so far used, mainly for bird photography, a Gitzo systematic 4 with a proMediaGear Katana pro and I love both. But I need a lighter setup now. I have a traveller Gitzo with I feel is too light for my NikkorZ 800 f.3 and so I am leaning to a monopod in combination with a Wimberley Monogimbal MH100. My question is if there is any difference in practice between the Gitzo monopod series 4 with 5 or 6 sections. I would like the 6 section for the shorter closed lenght but wonder about stability or other problems. Thank you.

A lot of people think of a monopod as a single, vertical leg. Instead a monopod is more stable if it is used with the leg at an angle - like a tripod leg. Your legs provide the other two "legs" of stability. If you are holding the tripod in a vertical position, it's not very stable, but extended in front of you to a 60-70 degree angle, it's very sturdy. Using it at an angle also makes it a lot easier to adjust the height. Taking a short step back is all it takes to lower the level of the camera.

I mention all this because B&H carries six Gitzo monopods - a light Traveler, a Series 2, and four Series 4 models for long lenses. The Series 4 models are 3 Section, 4 Section, 5 Section Long, and 6 Section models. Among these monopods, the extended height is 60-64 inches on all of them except the 5 Section Long model. This means the thinnest leg section is fully extended for a height of 5 feet 4 inches on most monopods. The 5 section Long model extends to a height of 74 inches. That's the only one you could hold at a 60 degree angle with the tripod extended in front of you for stability. So in my view, this one is the only real choice:

This one - the Gitzo GM4552L - is a "5 Section" monopod and it's almost 12 inches longer than the others when fully extended. That also allows you to minimally extend the smallest leg section or have enough length for uneven terrain. It's 6 ounces heavier than the 2 Series model, but sturdy enough for any long lens and camera.

My only complaint with the 5 section Long model is that like all Gitzo monopods, it has a round rubber foot rather than a spike or teardrop shaped foot. The round foot is fine for paved surfaces or indoors, but is not as good for rocky, uneven ground or other outdoor surfaces.

Here is the ProMediaGear 4 series Long monopod (81 inches) - and it does have a teardrop foot that is convertible to a spike. It includes a monopod head. The downside is that it is 3 ounces heavier and a little longer closed.

Back to your original problem.

Hello everybody, I so far used, mainly for bird photography, a Gitzo systematic 4 with a proMediaGear Katana pro and I love both. But I need a lighter setup now. I have a traveller Gitzo with I feel is too light for my NikkorZ 800 f.3 and so I am leaning to a monopod in combination with a Wimberley Monogimbal MH100. My question is if there is any difference in practice between the Gitzo monopod series 4 with 5 or 6 sections. I would like the 6 section for the shorter closed lenght but wonder about stability or other problems. Thank you.

I use this one: Gitzo GM4552L Series 4. Like @EricBowles said, there are many variations to choose from. I chose this one mostly because it is super robust and solid as a tank. But that's exactly what I want when I'm using it with my Z 600 TC with either my Z8 or Z9 attached. I also like the max working height that this one can reach.

It's also on sale right now at B&H for a very attractive price. (y)

I have two Gitzo monopods but added the iFootage Cobra 2 A18-II telescoping monopod for use with the 800mm PF lens. The lower tripod unit detaches to reduce weight or can be used as a ground support. The telescoping was very important as it can be used with one hand while my other hand supports the 800mm PF and camera.

There are other telescoping monopods available now but this is for me a critical feature for use with a heavy/bulky lens.

Back