Which is better?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I like both of these shots but don't know which is of more interest. I'd like some feedback. Whole bird or close up? Both have merit.
210202 Viera Eagles Nest-87-1909-8.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
210202 Viera Eagles Nest-87-1901-1908-7.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The crop may be more dramatic, but the face appears to be slightly out of focus and that is the first thing that I notice (then again I am a photographer). It is much less noticeable in the full image.

--Ken
thanx, that was my worry about cropping in so close. I also liked the dramatic look but it wasn't as sharp.

I prefer the wider crop, because the trees give context to the Eagle. It's not just a bird that could be anywhere in any sky, it's actually flying low over some trees. I generally prefer some sort of context or story for BIF, although it's often hard to get.

I'm with Richard. The longer I've been doing wildlife and nature photography the more I'm drawn in my own work to more "environmental" shots. In the past 10 years or so, I've gone from the "darn happy to get one that is in focus" mode to more critical of my own work. I do like to portray the wildlife in their environment (context as Richard accurately called it). To me it tells more of a story. What was it doing, why was it there, where was it and where does this critter live. Some tell the story of the daily struggle to survive and some are just doing something interesting.

I like the wider cropped image better. In fact, if you have even a little wider cropped image that shows more reference for how large the eagle is (surprisingly there are a lot of people who have never seen one) or more context around where it lives (the water) then I'd probably like that one too.

Bottom line, it is a personal preference. Both photos you posted work.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

To me the wider image is the better for the reasons others have cited. The leading edges of the wings are in focus, but it's much better to have the eyes and other facial features in sharp focus. The eyes are slightly out of focus and that's much less noticeable in the second photo.

Back