Which is the more pleasing pose?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Richard Stern

Supporting Member
Marketplace
2 shots of a Common Grackle. One facing slightly away but bill open. The other facing slightly towards but bill closed. I was hoping to get one of the bird facing towards and bill open, but couldn't. Nova Scotia, 17/5/22. Tfl, and comments welcome.

COGR-1799.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

COGR-1798.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

If I had to choose one it would be the first one with beak open. I tend to like wildlife shots when they are doing something interesting vs. just sitting there. To me the one with the beak open tells more of a story. Is it singing, is it fighting with a bird off the camera, is it getting ready to catch something? It draws more interest. If you were looking for an ID shot or to show a good shot of what the grackle looks like then number 2 is more "classic" field guide type of photo.

[edited to correct typo]

Last edited:
If I had to choose one it would be the first one with beak open. I tend to like wildlife shots when they are doing something interesting vs. just sitting there. To me the one with the beak open tells more of a story. Is it singing, is it fighting with a bird off the camera, is it getting ready to catch something? It draws more interest. If you were looking for an ID shot or to show a good shot of what the grackle looks like then number 2 is more "classic" field guide the of photo.
Yep No1 for me for the reasons above.👍

Back