Which winter gloves and backpack for photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Since winter is coming I need some warmer gloves as when I went out to take some shots one morning I almost froze my hands off. As well as that with holidays in mind I need to travel and companies like Wizzair try to squeze every single bit of money from me, simce my huge backpack is too huge. All in all, which photography gloves and backpack would you recommend?

Since winter is coming I need some warmer gloves as when I went out to take some shots one morning I almost froze my hands off. As well as that with holidays in mind I need to travel and companies like Wizzair try to squeze every single bit of money from me, simce my huge backpack is too huge. All in all, which photography gloves and backpack would you recommend?
I shoot a lot in very cold conditions here and though I've yet to find a perfect system there are a few approaches I'll use depending on the type of photography I'm doing and how cold it is.

- I start with a good but relatively thin pair of gloves. In the past I've used thin liner gloves for this but a couple of years ago picked up a nice snug fitting pair of archery gloves that serve this purpose nicely. These are pretty thin and not great for extended periods in sub zero cold but they're light and nimble enough to run all my camera controls, make menu adjustments, run the external switches on my lens, make tripod adjustments and the like. I'll sometimes run with just these in very cold conditions if there's a lot of action or if I can wait for action with my hands warmly in my pockets. IOW, these stave off frostbite and frozen fingers but they're not really warm enough for extended periods in the cold with my hands on my equipment. Still these are my first go-to as I really like having full dexterity and if I can keep my hands warm enough these can work. There are some nice Merino Wool hunting gloves out there but what I bought are snug and stretchy and sold by StrongSuit though I don't know the exact model as it's just something I picked up in a local hunting store.

- On really cold days or night shoots (e.g. winter astro photography) I'll carry a much warmer and somewhat loose pair of gloves that I can wear right over the liner gloves. I can still clumsily perform some basic camera and lens adjustments but really these aren't good for much more than crude tripod control adjustments and releasing the shutter. It's tough to do things like exposure compensation or even dial up and down shutter speed and aperture with these on though I've done it in a pinch. So if it's bitter cold I'll use these while shooting but try to preset my camera settings as much as possible and sometimes don't make on the fly adjustments I'd otherwise make. If I need to make a more delicate adjustment or change a menu setting I'll quickly pull off the outer glove and use just the liner glove for a moment. Ski gloves work nicely for this role as do some insulated work gloves like Kinco's but I do buy them fairly large so they easily slip on and off over the liner gloves.

- On the real cold days I'll carry chemical heat warmers in my pockets and use them to warm my gloved hands while waiting around or between periods of more active shooting.

Backpacks are a huge discussion unto itself and depends a lot on whether it's just a field pack, a travel pack (e.g. airlines) and how you'll work as in whether you'll typically have your big lens up on a tripod with smaller lenses, maybe a backup body and food/water extra clothes in a pack or whether you need a pack to hold all your gear including your biggest lens and primary camera.

I shoot a lot in very cold conditions here and though I've yet to find a perfect system there are a few approaches I'll use depending on the type of photography I'm doing and how cold it is.

- I start with a good but relatively thin pair of gloves. In the past I've used thin liner gloves for this but a couple of years ago picked up a nice snug fitting pair of archery gloves that serve this purpose nicely. These are pretty thin and not great for extended periods in sub zero cold but they're light and nimble enough to run all my camera controls, make menu adjustments, run the external switches on my lens, make tripod adjustments and the like. I'll sometimes run with just these in very cold conditions if there's a lot of action or if I can wait for action with my hands warmly in my pockets. IOW, these stave off frostbite and frozen fingers but they're not really warm enough for extended periods in the cold with my hands on my equipment. Still these are my first go-to as I really like having full dexterity and if I can keep my hands warm enough these can work. There are some nice Merino Wool hunting gloves out there but what I bought are snug and stretchy and sold by StrongSuit though I don't know the exact model as it's just something I picked up in a local hunting store.

- On really cold days or night shoots (e.g. astro photography) I'll carry a much warmer and somewhat loose pair of gloves that I can wear right over the liner gloves. I can still clumsily perform some basic camera and lens adjustments but really these aren't good for much more than crude tripod control adjustments and releasing the shutter. It's tough to do things like exposure compensation or even dial up and down shutter speed and aperture with these on though I've done it in a pinch. So if it's bitter cold I'll use these while shooting but try to preset my camera settings as much as possible and sometimes don't make on the fly adjustments I'd otherwise make. If I need to make a more delicate adjustment or change a menu setting I'll quickly pull off the outer glove and use just the liner glove for a moment. Ski gloves work nicely for this role as do some insulated work gloves like Kinco's but I do buy them fairly large so they easily slip on and off over the liner gloves.

- On the real cold days I'll carry chemical heat warmers in my pockets and use them to warm my gloved hands while waiting around or between periods of more active shooting.

Backpacks are a huge discussion unto itself and depends a lot on whether it's just a field pack, a travel pack (e.g. airlines) and how you'll work as in whether you'll typically have your big lens up on a tripod with smaller lenses, maybe a backup body and food/water extra clothes in a pack or whether you need a pack to hold all your gear including your biggest lens and primary camera.
Thank you for your reply. I will look into your advice, and for the backpacks I mainly need for airline travel.

Thank you for your reply. I will look into your advice, and for the backpacks I mainly need for airline travel.
For airline travel I'd take a good look at the Gura Gear packs. The Kiboko 30L is a great bag if you have a 600mm f/4 or 800mm f/5.6 but if your largest lens isn't quite that big they have smaller packs as well.

Try a thin pair of gloves that have fingertips that will active touch screens. When not handling the camera, wear heavy gloves over the thin ones. In cold weather, go light on equipment and get a sling camera bag that you don't have to take of to access.

Dave‘s advice is right on - thin liners with heavier outer gloves or mitts to keep you warm between shooting.

Buffalo winters can be pretty brutal, so I use thin synthetic liners for dexterity, then cover them with fleece gloves that have removable finger tips (I’m not remembering the brand), and stick chemical hand warmer packets in each outer glove. Even so, your hands will still get cold in severe temps - I’ve got Florida blood running through my veins, but live in Buffalo - go figure 🥶 Good, insulated boots and wool socks are a must, and I like to stick a chemical warmer in them too.

As for backpacks, it all depends on what gear you carry. Gura Gear is a great brand with many excellent options, as is Think Tank. I use the latter - the Airport Advantage holds most of my gear, and fits easily in the overhead bin of even regional carriers. I also carry on a moderate sized backpack as my “personal item”, which I load with my laptop, phone, extra batteries, etc. Typically, I’ll put my tripod in my checked bag (minus head), since it can withstand the usual rougher treatment by the airlines.

Hope this helps a bit.

In mild winter conditions, I use a pair of liner gloves. In colder conditions, I use a pair of insulated leather riding gloves (for horses). They still maintain a reasonable amount of dexterity, though they aren't touchscreen friendly, but add extra warmth. If it's really cold, I throw a pair of hand warmers in each pocket and alternate which hand is stuffed in there keeping warm and which one is operating gear.

I hear really good things about the photographer-specific glove system from The Heat Company, though. I've considered buying them, but the cost is a little prohibitive for the full setup. I get cold super easily though, with very little natural insulation, so it may be in the cards for the future.

For backpacks, I've got two that I love. I have a Shimoda Explore v2 30L, which I use for shooting primarily landscape or general trips, and absolutely love. Super comfy to carry on long hikes and generally fits most domestic/international carry on sizes. My only complaint is that it's just a little too small for putting both my landscape & wildlife kit into it. The overall design is just fantastic, though. I love using this bag, but it's probably going to stay as just my local/land travel bag. Would be fine if you're just taking a small kit and no lenses bigger than the 500PF. Also note that pro-size DSLRs/Mirrorless bodies may be too tall for the 30L, so I have to put my Z9 in flat, which takes up extra space in the slots. The 35L is deeper, though, and should fit a Z9 standing up vertical.

And then I have a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L for wildlife trips or mixed trips. It's not quite as comfy to hike with, but not unbearable. My main complaint with it is no laptop slot, but what makes up for that is that I can fit a HUGE amount of photo gear into it. I crammed my Z9 with my wildlife and landscape kits and SeaLife underwater rig, plus a backup DSLR body, into it on my last trip with no problem. It's within carry on size limits and they didn't even look twice at it. And it's got fewer access zippers so locks more securely, which was a big factor for plane travel. This is probably going to be my primary travel bag from now on, both domestic and international. Highly recommend.

one thing i haven't noticed a lot of discussion about is WET cold weather. here in the PNW, you can get soaked to the bone.

if it's not too wet and not too cold, i tend just to wear a latex or nitrile lined palmed knit glove. eventually the knit part is going to get wet if it's very wet, but the lined palm usually slows the process and the knit helps keep you warm for a while. when i'm hiking this way, i tend to wear them until it's too uncomfortable, then throw them in a dump bag and go without for the rest of the hike. advantages: very dexterous, cheap.

for long periods of really wet weather, you really need something waterproof. real waterproof, not gortex waterproof.

i've come across these guys:

you loose dexterity of course, but the latex shell is soft and flexible and of course waterproof. the inner liner is a fair step up from the garden gloves noted above and basically you can stay nice and toasty for long periods of time. the downside is if you get the inside wet you loose insulation and the coating doesn't go up super far. but you can put these on and then pull your rain coat sleeves over the cuffs and go a long time in pouring conditions and retain dry and warm hands. downsides: if you take the gloves on and off, the insides will start to get wet or if you otherwise expose the cuffs.

there are also less lined, less heavy duty versions like this, like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TDF6CF5/?tag=backcogaller-20

this can be nice if you don't need quite as much insulation since they are more dexterious than the showa 406 gloves.

the next level up is a fully sealed neoprene glove. you are going to be taking gloves on and off a neoprene glove won't loose as much insulative property. the gotcha is you really want one that's fully sealed on the outside to minimize it from soaking up water. AND... the sealing always start failing either wearing through the outside, or more likely cracking at the seams. so basically assume you're going to be replacing them after a while. and unfortunately, these aren't super dexterous

curious if anyone else has solutions to wet weather cold

-john

As Dave says, it depends on how cold it is.

For cool conditions, but not super cold, I wear some light gloves by Manzella. Touch sensitive. Merino and wind blocking. Can also work as glove or mitten liners.

When it is colder, I have a pair of Outdoor Research mittens with primaloft glove liners. The liners come out of the mittens and are touch sensitive at the finger and thumb tips. Pretty warm on their own and block the wind. I used them in Yellowstone this February and liked them. They worked well with my Z9 and Z7II.

One of the guides on my Yellowstone trip had a set of Heat Company gloves/mittens and recommended them highly. I bought a set -- inner glove liners; warm mittens that will fold back and allow your fingers and thumb (in the liner) out to work camera controls; and over-mittens (you'd have to take the over-mittens off to use camera controls). They seem quite nice and I am looking forward to trying them in Canada this next week, where it looks like it will be quite cold along Hudson Bay. There are a number of models to choose from. Not inexpensive, but likely cheaper in the US if you order from their US website (or B&H) as opposed to the European website.

A few other thoughts:

If you have a lens with exposed metal parts, using a neoprene Lens Coat or similar cover that covers the metal parts can make the lens less cold to hold.

I use chemical hand warmers at times when it is cold and they can be quite helpful, whether you put them in your mittens/gloves or in your pockets. There are also similar foot warmers for your boots.

The trip leader for my Hudson Bay trip recommended USB rechargeable hand warmers. So I got a pair. The ones I got will give 8 or 9 hours of heat on a full charge, but maybe are not quite as warm as the chemical ones. Still I expect quite useful, given how long they last on a charge and that they can be recharged.

Finally, someone I met on a trip to Bosque del Apache last December recommended electric gloves. So I bought a pair. Pretty nice in certain circumstances. But at the highest heat setting you only get 1.5 to 2 hours or so of heat and the gloves themseves do not block the wind. I got an extra set of batteries for the gloves and use them in some cases. Not planning to take them to Hudson Bay.

Good luck and stay warm.

I like the look of those Heat Company convertible mittens. Shooting sports in the PNW and being outside or 3 hours or more shooting in cold wet weather, I tried a lot of options to keep my hands warm while still having the ability to get quick shots off. The gloves with just a finger and or thumb flap never seemed to cut it. I settled on simple fleece Convertible mittens. They kept my hands warm even after getting wet, allowed me to expose all my fingers while pulling the flap back or just my trigger finger if it was very cold and easily pull the flap back to warm up my index finger during breaks. I would change out to a dry pair at halftime and was able to keep my hands warm enough. I imagine the same design with waterproof material would work even better.

I spent five winters in North Dakota, with two of those being extremely cold, according to the locals. In the coldest of conditions I used glove liners and heavily insulated mittens that could be pulled back from the fingers without complete removal. After finding a good glove mitten combination, I don't believe I ever had to worry about cold hands afterward, as long as I kept the rest of me dry and warm, especially my feet.

There is good review on B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...3EDFA152F0515D72168C7DD935C61EC1E2798FED803EC

The main problem with each glove tested is that one or more finger needs to be out of the principal protection to actuate the control of the camera.
I tested the Heat Company gloves at subfreezing temperature. They work but are not the best. The Hestraglove are better.
It is not a case that Morten Hilmer also uses the Hestra gloves in his expedition.

Back