White Buffalo in Yellowstone

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jbk2forum

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just came across this....Photographer Erin Braaten and article in National Geographic online.

Congrats to Erin on her once in a lifetime--even if that--capture.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 8.22.51 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 8.22.51 AM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
Just came across this....Photographer Erin Braaten and article in National Geographic online.

Just what YNP needs - a rare bison to draw even more tourons to the park. Sorry to be a cynic. 🥸

The Park is for everyone to enjoy. We can't keep it to ourselves. And this documented sighting is something to celebrate...regardless of the final outcome.
Remind me of that sentiment when you're stuck in a 3-hour bison jam waiting for tourists to get selfies with the little white bison, or trying to "rescue" it by putting it the back seat of their car. And be sure to post your images! 🤣

Remind me of that sentiment when you're stuck in a 3-hour bison jam waiting for tourists to get selfies with the little white bison, or trying to "rescue" it by putting it the back seat of their car. And be sure to post your images! 🤣
I feel your pain, but........and no excuse for stupidity.

I just read an article that many people are looking for it but there have been no further sightings since the initial photos shortly after birth. I fear - as speculated - it may have died.

The U.S. park service periodically drives bison out of the park so that they can be "culled" or "harvested" by hunters and ranchers. They have been doing the same with thousands of wild horses in the west. The park service also culled elk at Pt Reyes to provide more grazing for the locals cattle and dairy costs. Good idea to photograph these critters before they are obliterated.

The dirty secret is that hunting is allowed in nearly all parks and refuges in the USA. Hunters have better access than the general public and that includes photographers.

The U.S. park service periodically drives bison out of the park so that they can be "culled" or "harvested" by hunters and ranchers. They have been doing the same with thousands of wild horses in the west. The park service also culled elk at Pt Reyes to provide more grazing for the locals cattle and dairy costs. Good idea to photograph these critters before they are obliterated.

The dirty secret is that hunting is allowed in nearly all parks and refuges in the USA. Hunters have better access than the general public and that includes photographers.

The park service allows culls of bison by Native American tribes, not by hunters and ranchers, I believe. At any rate, none of that has anything to do with the white bison and probably is totally off topic. Also, there's no danger of any of the animal species in Yellowstone going extinct either in the park or in general.

No hunting in national parks allowed, anywhere. National wildlife refuges are another story however. Bison are shot outside of park boundaries, not in the park.

Erin is a fabulous photographer. She is member and on the board of directors as am I for
Northwest Montana Photographers. I look forward to seeing her images every month at our meetings. She mostly posts on Facebook (I think). She did comment that it may not have survived though. I just messaged her and shared this post so if I am mistaken hopefully she will respond and let us know the best place to see her work.

Last edited:

What is the source of this information?

Back