White-eyed Buzzard

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This actually is a medium sized hawk. Not sure how it got the name.
The picture was taken in bright sunlight (5pm). I was hoping to get a few shots of him taking off, but he just sat there looking around.
Nikon Z8 + Nikkor 400mm F4.5 _ Nikkor Z TC 1.4 from a car window
1/2500, F6.3, ISO 720 @ 560mm
Taken in FX, landscape, cropped. Minimal NR using LR's own denoise, no sharpening applied, a little vibrance, contrast and colour adjusted. The background is natural - as it was.
Flie size was reduced to meet forum requirements
Comments and Critique welcome

NZ8_5102-1051x1350x300-Full.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Great capture and lovely bird. Like you, can't see how it got its name but heyho. Only suggestion would be to possibly remove the two bits off OOF grass - one either side of the lower body/tail. Or at least the one on the left as it immediately catches the eye as you look down the bird. Other than that, great shot.

Great capture and lovely bird. Like you, can't see how it got its name but heyho. Only suggestion would be to possibly remove the two bits off OOF grass - one either side of the lower body/tail. Or at least the one on the left as it immediately catches the eye as you look down the bird. Other than that, great shot.
Thanks, I sort of overlooked it, but now that you've pointed it out, I realize that it is an obvious distraction

IMO one of the best positions to capture a perched bird with the dorsal view and looking back at the camera. Nice lateral placement of the bird in the frame. You might want to try a 4x6 format giving the bird some more head room.

Back