White Pelicans using a D750 +Sigma 100-400 F5-6.3

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My wife and I both got matching Sigma 100-400 lenses recently, so we went to the local marsh to try them out. We found a flock of white pelicans had taken up temporary residence there giving us a nice subject. I will admit to not doing much wildlife photography, so I welcome any feedback I get. Thanks.

2022 May 14 Patrick March Post - 01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2022 May 14 Patrick March Post - 06.jpg

2022 May 14 Patrick March Post - 08.jpg

2022 May 14 Patrick March Post - 09.jpg

2022 May 14 Patrick March Post - 10.jpg

2022 May 14 Patrick March Post - 11.jpg

2022 May 14 Patrick March Post - 12.jpg

Nice shots. I like white pelicans. For the critique you requested, I'd offer the first 3 images to level your horizon line. It is more noticeable on number 2 but the first three, the water is tilted downhill toward the left. It's an easy fix in any of the post processing software and makes a world of difference in your photography. To do it in camera, I engage the virtual horizon in my nikon cameras which helps me keep the camera level when shooting scenes around water or where the horizon line or vertical lines are visible.

Nice shots. I like white pelicans. For the critique you requested, I'd offer the first 3 images to level your horizon line. It is more noticeable on number 2 but the first three, the water is tilted downhill toward the left. It's an easy fix in any of the post processing software and makes a world of difference in your photography. To do it in camera, I engage the virtual horizon in my nikon cameras which helps me keep the camera level when shooting scenes around water or where the horizon line or vertical lines are visible.
Thanks Jeff. I feel silly not catching that before, but now that I look at it it is very noticeable. I will definitely address that.

Great shots! Numbers 5 and 6 stand out as particularly good to me. I know that the "rule" is to always have an odd number of subjects in the frame but I really like the balance of the shot with two birds with wings up and two with wings down.

Nice shots, good job handling the exposure with white pelicans on a sunny day, it's easy to blow out the highlights in shots like that. I like the final three images the best but all good stuff.

Welcome to the forums.

-Dave

Great shots! Numbers 5 and 6 stand out as particularly good to me. I know that the "rule" is to always have an odd number of subjects in the frame but I really like the balance of the shot with two birds with wings up and two with wings down.
Thanks Bob. I do to, but that may just be the engineer in me coming out.

Nice shots, good job handling the exposure with white pelicans on a sunny day, it's easy to blow out the highlights in shots like that. I like the final three images the best but all good stuff.

Welcome to the forums.

-Dave
Thanks for the kind words Dave. I'm glad my dentist recommended this site to me.

Back